Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2018/09/26 21:22:31 UTC

Maturity Model and Graduation

As a newly "minted" mentor, I'm getting my feet wet on determining where the project is and where it needs to go in order to be ready for graduation...

Has the project run the Maturity Model against itself? How do we stack up? What areas of improvement could we benefit from (this might be independent of what the MatModel sez, btw. If you have ideas on where we could be working and collaborating better, please bring them up!)?

Cheers!

Re: Maturity Model and Graduation

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Steffen

This document looks great and to me showcases clearly the areas in which we
can improve. CO50, CO30 and IN10 standout to me in particular.

Pedro.

Posted by Steffen Rochel <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pedro Larroy <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by kellen sunderland <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jim, welcome to the community.

To the best of my knowledge we have not yet discussed/run a Maturity
Model.  My gut feel is that MXNet would come away a fairly bi-model
result.  My view of the project is that it's getting the Apache Way right
in terms of Code, Releases, and Quality.  I think the project is doing
decently well with Licensing (although it's maybe a little more complex
than other projects given the many required code dependencies).  From my
observations I would say the community often struggles with consensus
building.  My opinion is that the project is doing a lot right with
community, especially in question answer, but is lacking in other areas
such as community expansion and ownership.

Independence is an area where the project is clearly behind, with almost
all active committers coming from Amazon.  We've had some great
contributions from Intel and NVIDIA, but so far have not been able to add
the members from those organizations to the IPMC for various reasons.
MXNet seems to not have had much support from other open-source communities
(with a notable exception of Carin who did a great job with Clojure and was
made a committer/ipmc member).  My impression is that the community would
love to improve in this area, so the lack of progress is not due to any
lack of desire on the community's part.  I'd love to see some more
sustained contribution from other open source communities to help us out in
this area (and am hopeful we can reach out to the Julia community as an
example).

-Kellen