Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Bruce Edge <br...@nextissuemedia.com> on 2014/10/27 17:19:19 UTC

Re: Getting Started With JackRabbit Oak - A Complete Beginner

I¹m in the same boat as the OP. I¹m also having a hard time getting my
head around both the components within oak, but more so, the question of
wrapper components that sit on top of the JCR. My apologies for hijacking
your thread, but I thought it may help to consolidate related rookie info.
Plus, the subject fits exactly.

The oak JCR itself is fairly low level and requires a lot of additional
infrastructure to provide a functional application. I¹ve looked into some
more enterprisey type systems, like alfresco, magnolia, eXo, etc, and they
all appear to use the older jackrabbit non-oak version.
Are there any more comprehensive apps that are currently using oak as a
foundation?

Our needs include:
- a JCR for binary content, text, pdf, video, audio, etc. All kinds of
media files, grouped in a hierarchical fashion.
- RBAC for controlling access to content as well as tracking changes by
user and providing an audit path
- Some way of managing users and permissions - this alone is an argument
for using a higher level app than direct jcr coding.
- Allowing users direct access to the webDAV view of the repo for content
editing, while tracking edits by user and generating events on edit
commits.
- Some form of workflow management, again, this has been done 1e6 times
already. Why re-invent. What¹s available that works with oak/sling?
- and of course the push/pull of data into the jcr. This is the primary
reason for looking at oak, but it¹s the associated support tasks that are
pushing for a more fully functional framework.

What are the package blocks people are using with oak? Does everyone use
sling? Is that the only option for oak or are there others?

thanks in advance.

-Bruce

From:  Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>
Date:  Monday, September 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM
To:  "oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org" <oa...@jackrabbit.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: Getting Started With JackRabbit Oak - A Complete Beginner

Posted by Michael Marth <mm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Bruce,

I can take some of these questions:

> The oak JCR itself is fairly low level and requires a lot of additional
> infrastructure to provide a functional application. I¹ve looked into some
> more enterprisey type systems, like alfresco, magnolia, eXo, etc, and they
> all appear to use the older jackrabbit non-oak version.
> Are there any more comprehensive apps that are currently using oak as a
> foundation?

Adobe’s Experience Manager uses Oak as its foundation (starting with version 6)

> Our needs include:
> - a JCR for binary content, text, pdf, video, audio, etc. All kinds of
> media files, grouped in a hierarchical fashion.

Perfect fit for the JCR content model

> - RBAC for controlling access to content as well as tracking changes by
> user and providing an audit path

Acces control is provided.
Tracking changes is not, but it would be simple to write an observation listener that writes to a log or so.

> - Some way of managing users and permissions - this alone is an argument
> for using a higher level app than direct jcr coding.

User management (as in the UI) is a concern for higher layers. There is an API on Jackrabbit level to manage users and groups on repo level (see [1])

> - Allowing users direct access to the webDAV view of the repo for content
> editing, while tracking edits by user and generating events on edit
> commits.

WebDAV is supported, the same security and user management considerations apply. Again, tracking could be implemented as a listener.
One strength of JCR is that these mechanism are independent of the access channel (Java API or WebDAV)

> - Some form of workflow management, again, this has been done 1e6 times
> already. Why re-invent. What¹s available that works with oak/sling?

I am not aware of an open source WF engine that works with JCR content ootb.

> - and of course the push/pull of data into the jcr. This is the primary
> reason for looking at oak, but it¹s the associated support tasks that are
> pushing for a more fully functional framework.

There is a full import/export feature (via XML). Of course, you can also use the Java API for that.

> What are the package blocks people are using with oak? Does everyone use
> sling? Is that the only option for oak or are there others?

In my view Sling is very popular, but there is also a Spring connector for JCR.

HTH
Michael

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/api/2.4/org/apache/jackrabbit/api/security/user/UserManager.html