Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by jl...@br.ibm.com on 2005/10/17 18:25:12 UTC

Migrating the JFTP4I to the FTPServer and MINA Projects

>Hi,

>   We have one API set called ftplet bundled with the
>Incubator FTPServer. The basic objective is to
>integrate other applications with the FTP server. We
>will be more than happy to work together.

>Thanks,
>Rana Bhattacharyya

        Rana / Trustin,

        What type of documentation you guys need to evaluate the JFTP4I?

        We have implemented the FTP package, but JFTP4I is not intended to
be another FTP server, but an application server that have a group of
applications deployed into it. Unfortunally we had to implement all the
standard FTP commands defined in the rfc (to create and make use of a
complete FTP Application Server with a lot of application deployed into
it). When the user deploy an application (we haven´t yet defined how this
should be done), his package will have basically one XML file
(jftp4i-resources.xml) responsable to define all specific user
configurations like, what FTPAction should respond to what
file/resource/command and so forth (You can define a set of files, a
single file, action peer command, etc.). The server is configured by
another XML file called jftp4i-config.xml (resides inside the META-INF
directory). Obs.: The framework have also implemented a set of filters
that the user can deploy with his action classes.

        All the framework are event-driven, so every request/response, or
better, every thing that happens inside the Server dispatches an specific
event - All the config classes used inside the JFTP4I (Transactional
management, Filters, FTPActions, Wrappers, etc.) are configured inside the
jftp4i-config.xml file, and can be overwritten to an user specific class.

        If we knew MINA and FTPServer at the time we started, it will
problably take us little lesser time to implement the JFTP4I solution,
8-P. I hope that this could serve as a good baseline to start our
discussion in how we can merge the projects.

        []s,

                João