Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> on 2010/06/07 17:20:42 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Lucene Java 2.9.3 and 3.0.2 artifacts to be released

Hi all,

I have posted a release candidate for both Lucene Java 2.9.3 and 3.0.2
(which both have the same bug fix level, functionality and release
announcement), build from revision 951790 of the corresponding branches.
Thanks for all your help! Please test them and give your votes, the
scheduled release date for both versions is Friday, June 18th, 2010. Only
votes from Lucene PMC are binding, but everyone is welcome to check the
release candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote passes
if at least three binding +1 votes are cast.

We planned the parallel release with one announcement because of their
parallel development / bug fix level to emphasize that they are equal except
deprecation removal and Java 5 since major version 3. I will post the
possible release announcement soon for corrections.

Artifacts can be found at:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-2.9.3-3.0.2-take1-r
ev951790/

Changes:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-2.9.3-3.0.2-take1-r
ev951790/changes-2.9.3/Changes.html
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-2.9.3-3.0.2-take1-r
ev951790/changes-2.9.3/Contrib-Changes.html

http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-2.9.3-3.0.2-take1-r
ev951790/changes-3.0.2/Changes.html
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-2.9.3-3.0.2-take1-r
ev951790/changes-3.0.2/Contrib-Changes.html

Maven artifacts:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-2.9.3-3.0.2-take1-r
ev951790/maven/

Happy testing!

P.S.: I already tested the latest 3.0.2 artifacts with pangaea.de :-)

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Apache Lucene Java 2.9.3 and 3.0.2 artifacts to be released

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1 to release.

"ant test" passes for both -src.tar.gz downloads, and .asc's check
out, and Lucene in Action 2nd Edition's tests all pass w/ 3.0.2
dropped in.

Mike

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
+1

dropped into my app, everything works and my tests pass...

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Yonik Seeley
<yo...@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Chris Hostetter
> <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
>>
>> : See 3.0.2: http://s.apache.org/6kf
>> : vs. 3.0.1: http://s.apache.org/t5
>>
>> Ugh... ok, well i guess the precident has allready been set then.  hope it
>> doesn't bite us in the ass down the road.
>
> Here's an interesting one I remember from the past... a last minute
> optimization:
> http://search.lucidimagination.com/search/document/66bc5d5142a07c4/1_9_rc1
>
> And due to that last minute optimization, a bug fix release followed
> very shortly ;-)
> http://search.lucidimagination.com/search/document/22d6566ceddf69ce/lucene_1_9_1_release_available
I wouldn't wanna risk that though!
I don't think the change is super critical but it would be nice for
the folks using PMS to have this improvement. But I  agree with Yonik
that we should rather follow the pessimistic path especially if
testing has already been done. When I talked to uwe earlier this week
we thought we should backport and ask the community, if a fair bit of
folks would have volunteered to test again I guess it would have been
a good idea. Yet, we already have the artifact which have been tested
so lets vote on those.

Thoughts?

simon

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I would argue my 3 cases were borderline bugs -- they weren't just
pure perf improvements.

2135 acts like a mem leak, in that we retain [often very large] memory
for longer than we should.  2161 is nasty choke point in NRT (getting
a new NRT reader syncs the old one thus blocking any searches, since
searches use sync'd methods like getNorms, I think).  2360 was a
regression, specifically indexing small docs got a slower due to the
fix from another issue.

That said, I don't think we need to be so strict ("only bug fixes get
backported").  If someone has the itch/time/energy and is willing to
do the work for backport and the risk is low, back compat is
preserved, etc., I think it's great.

Mike

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
See 3.0.2: http://s.apache.org/6kf