Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Bryce Godfrey <Br...@azaleos.com> on 2011/08/19 23:48:38 UTC

Completely removing a node from the cluster

I'm on 0.8.4

I have removed a dead node from the cluster using nodetool removetoken command, and moved one of the remaining nodes to rebalance the tokens.  Everything looks fine when I run nodetool ring now, as it only lists the remaining 2 nodes and they both look fine, owning 50% of the tokens.

However, I can still see it being considered as part of the cluster from the Cassandra-cli (192.168.20.1 being the removed node) and I'm worried that the cluster is still queuing up hints for the node, or any other issues it may cause:

Cluster Information:
   Snitch: org.apache.cassandra.locator.SimpleSnitch
   Partitioner: org.apache.cassandra.dht.RandomPartitioner
   Schema versions:
        dcc8f680-caa4-11e0-0000-553d4dced3ff: [192.168.20.2, 192.168.20.3]
        UNREACHABLE: [192.168.20.1]

Do I need to do something else to completely remove this node?

Thanks,
Bryce

Re: Completely removing a node from the cluster

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
I normally link to the data stax article to avoid having to actually write those words :)

http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/troubleshooting/index#view-of-ring-differs-between-some-nodes
-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Posted by Jonathan Colby <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryce Godfrey <Br...@azaleos.com>.
Taking the cluster down completely did remove the phantom node.  The hintscolumnfamily is causing a lot of commit logs to back up and threaten the commit log drive to run out of space.  A manual flush of that column family always clears out the files though.

> I'm running low on ideas for this one. Anyone else ?
>
> If the phantom node is not listed in the ring, other nodes should not be storing hints for it. You can see what nodes they are storing hints for via JConsole.

I think I found it in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-3071

--Brandon

Re: Completely removing a node from the cluster

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Posted by Bryce Godfrey <Br...@azaleos.com>.
It's been at least 4 days now.