Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2010/12/03 16:27:57 UTC

Re:Calling selenium from the build XML was jquey

what what level were you working on?
I am working on scenarios for a user, like orderentry, adding products,
placing order through Ecommerce.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Sascha Rodekamp sent the following on 12/3/2010 12:11 AM:

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.
Le 05/12/2010 13:02, Sascha Rodekamp a écrit :
> Hi BJ, sorry for the late response, but i was not at home yesterday.
>   :-).
>
> That was more or less a POC. I tried to create a showcase to test standard
> Application Screens (i.e. a standard ecommerce module). Therefore i created
> the unit tests with the selenium firefox plugin, modifyed the tests for my
> purposes and used them in a little selfmade testing framework. That was very
> simple. It reads test data (i.e user data, orders which should be placed
> ...) from an excel file (Apache POI), creates a list with the neded data and
> called the tests class with the unit tests, from this point selenium did all
> the work, run the test and give me a result.
> That's it. Maybe a little bit uncommon but as i said it was a POC for a
> certain use case :-)
>
> But at the end of the day a think there is a lot of stuff / test cases which
> can be handled by selenium, but i also noticed that it is a lot of work
> creating all the tests...
>
> Hope you get an idea what i was trying to do.
> Have a good day
> Sascha

Hi Sascha,

would it be possible to put all of this in a JIRA issue ? I may need
some of this, and I may also need it to clarify what I want from
Selenium in OFBiz (and work on it later...).

Cheers,

--
Erwan de FERRIERES
www.nereide.biz

Re: Calling selenium from the build XML was jquey

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
http://demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org/cmssite/cms/APACHE_OFBIZ_HTML#N231EE
OFBiz SeleniumXml
You will get an assertion (or other exception) if the test fails.
this is to run from build.xml
like
ant selelium_orders (not yes in build)_
do you will get a build sucessful if test compelets.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Brett Palmer sent the following on 12/6/2010 4:30 PM:

Posted by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I am headed the same way with tests that span components. The Tests are
like a user would do, like adding prodcts, entering an order, and making
changes to data. Also Selenium gives you page layout changes Errors.

though the individual pages are stored on each component, the test are
in the framework that span components.

The problem that Adam addressed was how to build these tests from the
build.xml, not run them.
That to me, is attainable, in the future but requires a lot more coding
work.

the one gotcha I see in self generated tests is you don't get legacy
type of errors for what has been changed, like when an entity has a new
field or one is removed or changed. This is crucial to production
servers and supporting a client.

As I originally said, if a layout(page) is effected by the addition of
Jquey, that will negate tests for those layouts. It would be even harder
to programmatic generate tests using selenium.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Sascha Rodekamp sent the following on 12/5/2010 4:02 AM:

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.
Hi BJ, sorry for the late response, but i was not at home yesterday.
 :-).

That was more or less a POC. I tried to create a showcase to test standard
Application Screens (i.e. a standard ecommerce module). Therefore i created
the unit tests with the selenium firefox plugin, modifyed the tests for my
purposes and used them in a little selfmade testing framework. That was very
simple. It reads test data (i.e user data, orders which should be placed
...) from an excel file (Apache POI), creates a list with the neded data and
called the tests class with the unit tests, from this point selenium did all
the work, run the test and give me a result.
That's it. Maybe a little bit uncommon but as i said it was a POC for a
certain use case :-)

But at the end of the day a think there is a lot of stuff / test cases which
can be handled by selenium, but i also noticed that it is a lot of work
creating all the tests...

Hope you get an idea what i was trying to do.
Have a good day
Sascha

2010/12/3 BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>

> what what level were you working on?
> I am working on scenarios for a user, like orderentry, adding products,
> placing order through Ecommerce.
>

> =========================
> BJ Freeman
> Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation  <
> http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=52>
> Specialtymarket.com  <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>
> Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist
>
> Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
>

> Sascha Rodekamp sent the following on 12/3/2010 12:11 AM:
>
>> Good morning chaps
>> Calling selenium from the build XML is a great point. I tried that a few
>> month ago in another project once selenium is set up right it's really
>> helpful
>> So in my opinion we should def think of it.
>> Cheers Sascha

>>> The solution there is to stop maintaining it outside of the normal
>>> development pipeline.  Get it into trunk, make running selenium tests
>>> automatic, with a simple call in build.xml.

--
Sascha Rodekamp
    Lynx-Consulting GmbH
    Johanniskirchplatz 6