Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/05/23 00:50:00 UTC

Xerces-J 1.4.0 released

Matt, what is the current NS problem with Xerces 1.3.1 and Soap?  I tend to
run with the latest Xerces from CVS, and have not noticed a problem, but
then again mostly I run the samples...  Perhaps it is fixed in 1.4?

- Sam Ruby

---------------------- Forwarded by Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM on 05/22/2001
06:47 PM ---------------------------

neilg@ca.ibm.com on 05/22/2001 03:31:20 PM

Please respond to xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org

To:   xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org, xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:   general@xml.apache.org
Subject:  Xerces-J 1.4.0 released

Hi folks,

Xerces-J 1.4.0 is now ready for prime-time.  The most important new feature
in Xerces-J 1.4.0 is full schema support (except for some small limitations
as detailed in the documentation).  Other improvements include:

- Completed implementation of schema Identity Constraints [Neil Graham]
- Update XPath support to bring it into compliance with Schema PR [Achille
Fokoue Nkoutche/Neil Graham]
- Implemented Schema PR changes to the syntax of <attribute> declarations
[Ted Han (than@ghx.com)/Neil  Graham]
- Added French resource bundle for regex package [Jean-Claude Dufourd,
Laurent Foret/Neil Graham]
- Added support for nillable and removed limitation for xsi:schemaLocation
usage [Elena Litani]
- PR changes for Datatypes (including implementation of date/time) [Sandy
Gao, Elena Litani]
- Added support for fixed attribute on datatype facets [Elena Litani]
- Constraint checking [Lisa Martin, Neil Graham, Sandy Gao, Elena Litani]
- Re-implemented "all" group support for performance reasons [Henry
Zongaro]
- Re-implemented "mixed" content model groups for Schema [Lisa Martin]
- Miscellaneous bug fixes [Arnaud Le Hors, Jeffrey Rodrigues, Elena Litani]

Enjoy!
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  416-448-3519, T/L 778-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: Xerces-J 1.4.0 released

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
> I am not sure mostly  due to the non standard instalation of soap I am
using
> (apache soap installed in dynamo app server (non j2ee deployment
semantics))
> things seem to be working with a fresh build of a nightly dated may 5th
> against version 1.30 of xerces. if I get a chance I will try version 1.4
of
> xerces. I hope that soap will work with crimson soon. having to deal with
> all the different parsers in my clients production systems classpaths is a
> pain. On a seperate topic/ feature request. I think the apache soap engine

Apache SOAP v2.2 Release Candidates all are FULLY JAXP enabled. It
works just fine with Crimson; please do let us know if you find
any problems. THere is no longer a need to mess with multiple
parsers (unless you want to).

> configuration would be more flexible if all the stuff currently specified
by
> the soap.xml file could be cleanly set programaticaly from the router.
This
> would allow adaptation of the soap engine configutration process to the
> configuration mechanisms abvailable in the containing app server or
> application.In order to use the very flexible configuration mechanisms ATG
> Dynamo provides I had to essentialy replace the serverHTTPutils class with
> one of my own design. Including a configuration object with static
accesors
> for configration properties would be nice,  in addition to the soap.xml
> config file  support.

IBM is using Apache SOAP in WebSphere and we were able to do all
the required config stuff without replacing any of the code. However,
if you have specific suggestions on how to improve soap.xml please
post them. I'm not sure there'll be more releases of Apache SOAP
(it depends on Axis I guess) but in any case the info should be
useful for Axis developers as they do their own config file/mechanism.

> by the way can the bean serializer handle beans that have arrays of other
> beans as instance variables? If not is their anything fundamentaly
> preventing this type of support in the architecture? As one of the  lead

I believe it does handle it correctly. Did you find that it does not?

> engineer here at kodak.com the architect and I are  investing heavily in
> soap for  our dynamo application environment. At some point I hope to free
> up some cycles to contribute to the project, what areas do you feel need
> support?

Contributions are always welcome. As I said above, I am not sure how
many more releases of Apache SOAP there will be. In any case, they're
intended to be maintenance / minor fix stuff and not major things.

The place to contribute to is the Axis project - which is the follow-on
to Apache SOAP. Its a total re-write of a SOAP engine with higher
performance, more flexibility, better pluggability etc. as goals. See
http://xml.apache.org/axis for details.

Bye,

Sanjiva.

Re: Xerces-J 1.4.0 released

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@computer.org>.
> by the way can the bean serializer handle beans that have arrays of other
> beans as instance variables?

Yes, it can.  Of course, each type (Java class) being serialized as an array
element must be mapped to the bean serializer as well.

Scott

Re: Xerces-J 1.4.0 released

RE: Xerces-J 1.4.0 released

Posted by "Matthew J. Duftler" <du...@watson.ibm.com>.
Hi Sam,

It was a bug they fixed in the nightly builds. They were using "" to
respresent un-specified namespaces, instead of null.

Thanks,
-Matt