Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Asai <as...@globalchangemusic.org> on 2016/11/19 18:04:19 UTC

SSVM Creation Failure with Advanced Zone

Hello,

Hopefully I can gain some insight here.  When I create a basic zone
using the wizard, everything goes smoothly and the Secondary Storage
works great.  But--and I know I'm missing something here, I just don't
know what--when I try to set up an advanced zone I always get this error:

Secondary Storage Vm creation failure. zone: Av1, error details: null

Secondary storage seems to be mounting normally now, and is in the same
subnet as Management server and Pod.  I have 1 NIC that's set up to
support 2 VLANS and does management traffic on its NON VLAN IP. e.g. NIC
1 IP is 192.168.100.202 (cloudbr0), NIC 1 Public VLAN is VLAN 210
(cloudbr1), and NIC 1 Private for guest traffic is VLAN 220 (cloudbr2).
Again, this setup seems to work OK with a basic zone, but not for advanced.

Can anyone offer any direction?

Thanks,
Asai

Re: SSVM Creation Failure with Advanced Zone

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Asai,

Check your agent log – as per my previous email you need to reconsider the design of your networking:

com.cloud.exception.InternalErrorException: Failed to create vnet 210: device eno2.210 is already a member of a bridge; can't enslave it to bridge breno2-210.Failed to add vlan: eno2.210 to breno2-210

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect
ShapeBlue

On 21/11/2016, 21:15, "asai@globalchangemusic.org" <as...@globalchangemusic.org> wrote:

    Hi, Simon.

    I'm using KVM.

    Here's a sample of the Management Server logs:

    http://pastebin.com/DJvmRfRg

    And Agent logs:

    http://pastebin.com/Cpmm3w5M

    On 2016-11-19 14:55, Simon Weller wrote:

    > Can you post some management server and agent logs?
    >
    > What hypervisor are you using?
    >
    > Simon Weller/ENA
    > (615) 312-6068

Dag.Sonstebo@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
@shapeblue

RE: SSVM Creation Failure with Advanced Zone

Posted by as...@globalchangemusic.org.

Posted by Asai <as...@globalchangemusic.org>.
I don't know if it's relevant, but no Virtual Router has been created
either.

Posted by Dag Sonstebo <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Asai,

You will have to go back to the drawing board with this one. In a basic zone your guest isolation is Layer 3 – in other words all down to network ACLs. In that scenario your network configuration may make sense – since you are restricting your L3 traffic to single subnets on a single VLAN.

Not so in an advanced zone – my guess is you are aiming for L2 VLAN guest isolation? If so you can’t restrict VLANs at the bridge level – since you are then asking CloudStack to assign VLANs to a bridge which is already using VLAN220. In addition to this your bridge configuration seems a bit over the top.

I would propose you do the following:
- NIC1/eth0 = cloudbr0 (192.168.100.202)
- NIC2/eth1 = cloudbr1 – with *no VLAN assignment*
- Configure you're the top of rack for eth1 to trunk all the VLANs you want to utilize – but set the default VLAN to your public VLAN 210.

When you set up your advanced zone you can now tag your management network as “cloudbr0” and your guest / public as “cloudbr1” – then specify your private VLAN range / public range etc.

Once you’re at this stage you can then start troubleshooting your SSVM – suggest you review our previous discussions.

If you want some pointers on the KVM networking have a look at my blog on http://www.shapeblue.com/networking-kvm-for-cloudstack/

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect