Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rana Bhattacharyya <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2005/09/15 08:08:02 UTC

[Ftpserver] Paul Hammant's Observations

Hi Paul,

    I did not get this mail in
general@incubator.apache.org. So I missed it.

Anyway, these are the points.

1. I can see ftplet directory src and binary
distributions. Which ftplet directory are you
mentioning?

2. Now I am working on maven support. When I tried to
merge Maven support patch by David DeWolf, I noticed
many checkstyle errors and I need to change all the
document xdoc files. So I would have missed 15th
September. I shall commit all Maven related changes
soon.

3. In my opinion multiple subprojects complicate the
structure. So I have merged these into one. If
necessary we can change the build script to
include/exclude ftplet or gui folders to make separate
jar files.

Thanks,
Rana Bhattacharyya

Paul Hammant wrote:

Rana,

1) there is an ftplet directory missing ..

2) You've got rid of Maven and gone back to ant?

3) and collapsed multiple sub projects into one source
tree?

- Paul

Re: [Ftpserver] Paul Hammant's Observations

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 18 September 2005 03:36, Paul Hammant wrote:
> In my opinion these are design goals:
>
> 1) Remote usage, requires remote API, but not server impl to be in
> the jar
>
> 2) Third party ftp-lets should, in terms of classloader, be
> completely hidden from the server implementation.  They should only
> see J2SE classes, plus the FtpLet API

+1
Why can't everyone understand these simple concepts?? :o)

My oh my...

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [Ftpserver] Paul Hammant's Observations

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
>     I did not get this mail in
> general@incubator.apache.org. So I missed it.
>
> Anyway, these are the points.
>
> 1. I can see ftplet directory src and binary
> distributions. Which ftplet directory are you
> mentioning?

my mistake, a cvs update -d did the trick.

> 2. Now I am working on maven support. When I tried to
> merge Maven support patch by David DeWolf, I noticed
> many checkstyle errors and I need to change all the
> document xdoc files. So I would have missed 15th
> September. I shall commit all Maven related changes
> soon.

Kewl

> 3. In my opinion multiple subprojects complicate the
> structure. So I have merged these into one. If
> necessary we can change the build script to
> include/exclude ftplet or gui folders to make separate
> jar files.

Well we'll differ on that then.

In my opinion these are design goals:

1) Remote usage, requires remote API, but not server impl to be in
the jar

2) Third party ftp-lets should, in terms of classloader, be
completely hidden from the server implementation.  They should only
see J2SE classes, plus the FtpLet API

This is the same design as the servlets.

Also, I've bumped the license rev to 2.0 as per Apache requirements.

- Paul