Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com> on 2000/09/22 21:40:35 UTC

Comment Indicators

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Jason van Zyl wrote:

Hey,

I was just playing around with the comment types and
wanted to get some opinions. I have tried a couple
of things:

## single line comment

#*

   multi line comment
   that can include malformed directives
   like

   #if (

*#

#**
  This is a description of what this template
  is and might be useful to other graphic designers
  to get an overall view of the templates that
  comprise a site.
  @author
  @version

*#

The javadoc style might not be all that useful but
was easy to add, and it would be easy to make a tool
to pass through a directory structure and create
some docs.

I have also tried the above with the %, just so that
comments were clearly different from directives but I
have a feeling no one will like it:

%% single line comment

%* *%

%** *%

Thinking that comments aren't really directives so
they should look different.

For the two styles nothing is parsed between the
start and end indicators so you have broken
malformed directives or whatever you wanted.

I have also tried

#comment
#end

But a comment isn't really a directive, and because
a comment it a directive it's hard to embed malformed
directives inside it.

Thoughts?

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Comment Indicators

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@periapt.com>.
On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
> >
> > Why not <!--  foo  -->?
> >

> I'll answer it myself : because it will be included in the HTML output
> stream?

Right :)

jvz.

--

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@periapt.com

Re: Comment Indicators

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:

> Why not <!--  foo  -->?

I'll answer it myself : because it will be included in the HTML output
stream?

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
geirm@optonline.com

Re: Comment Indicators

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Why not <!--  foo  -->?

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
geirm@optonline.com

Re: Comment Indicators

Posted by Travis Low <tr...@dawnstar.org>.
If you want the pound sign combined with another character, then I suggest that
the other character be "lightweight":

#-

-#

Otherwise, you could try:
|**

*|

Or (horrors!) provide a directive to specify comment syntax.

-- Travis Low
   <ma...@dawnstar.org>
   <http://dawnstar.org/travis>

Re: Comment Indicators

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Thinking about this, and considering other comments, (inlcuding my own
stupid ones) I like

## single line

and

#*
	multi line
*#

since

#**
	multiline javadoc
*#

should easily follow w/o any work, and I don't have to think any futher
than '#' = '/'

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.