Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Todd Goldenbaum <to...@marigoldtech.com> on 2001/06/24 04:33:00 UTC

which perl?

Hi,

I am running Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_perl/1.25 on a redhat 7 system.  Since
the perl binary that came with the redhat distribution was version 5.6.0, I
assumed that is the version that got built into mod perl (statically linked).
But I just discovered using perl's $] variable, that it's actually using 5.006!

So far as I can tell, I don't even have a copy of perl 5.006 on my system...
Is mod_perl actulaly distributed with a version of perl interpreter intact?
If so, How do I upgrade it?

thanks,
Todd Goldenbaum
todd@marigoldtech.com

Re: which perl?

Posted by Todd Goldenbaum <to...@marigoldtech.com>.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Chris Reinhardt wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Todd Goldenbaum wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_perl/1.25 on a redhat 7 system.
> > Since the perl binary that came with the redhat distribution was
> > version 5.6.0, I assumed that is the version that got built into mod
> > perl (statically linked).  But I just discovered using perl's $]
> > variable, that it's actually using 5.006!
> >
> > So far as I can tell, I don't even have a copy of perl 5.006 on my system...
> > Is mod_perl actulaly distributed with a version of perl interpreter intact?
> > If so, How do I upgrade it?
> >

> Ummm.... 5.006 _is_ 5.6.0, just in the old perl numbering scheme.

how strange.

> ctriv@quartz:~$ perl -v
>
> This is perl, v5.6.1 built for sun4-solaris
>
> ctriv@quartz:~$ perl -e 'print "$]\n"'
> 5.006001
>
> You should look at something like this (or it's sprintf equivalent).
> ctriv@quartz:~$ perl -e 'printf("%vd\n", $^V)'
> 5.6.1

gotcha.  so it's 5.6.0...  however i'm still really curious about whether
mod_perl 'builds in' the interpreter when you build apache, or is it when
you >run< apache?

what i'm actually trying to do is get mod_perl to use a different version
of perl also installed on my system, 5.6.1, so as to settle some problems
within mason causing the httpd child processes to segfault.

Re: which perl?

Posted by Chris Reinhardt <ct...@dyndns.org>.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Todd Goldenbaum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_perl/1.25 on a redhat 7 system.
> Since the perl binary that came with the redhat distribution was
> version 5.6.0, I assumed that is the version that got built into mod
> perl (statically linked).  But I just discovered using perl's $]
> variable, that it's actually using 5.006!
>
> So far as I can tell, I don't even have a copy of perl 5.006 on my system...
> Is mod_perl actulaly distributed with a version of perl interpreter intact?
> If so, How do I upgrade it?

Ummm.... 5.006 _is_ 5.6.0, just in the old perl numbering scheme.

ctriv@quartz:~$ perl -v

This is perl, v5.6.1 built for sun4-solaris

ctriv@quartz:~$ perl -e 'print "$]\n"'
5.006001

You should look at something like this (or it's sprintf equivalent).
ctriv@quartz:~$ perl -e 'printf("%vd\n", $^V)'
5.6.1

Chris R.
--
Chris Reinhardt
ctriv@dyndns.org

Re: which perl?

Posted by Todd Goldenbaum <to...@marigoldtech.com>.
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Steven Lembark wrote:

> > I am running Apache/1.3.14 (Unix) mod_perl/1.25 on a redhat 7 system.
> > Since the perl binary that came with the redhat distribution was version
> > 5.6.0, I  assumed that is the version that got built into mod perl
> > (statically linked).   But I just discovered using perl's $] variable,
> > that it's actually using 5.006!
> >
> > So far as I can tell, I don't even have a copy of perl 5.006 on my
> > system... Is mod_perl actulaly distributed with a version of perl
> > interpreter intact? If so, How do I upgrade it?
>
> For the amount of time it takes, I'd suggest just building a local
> copy of mod_perl.  If you use a .makepl_args.mod_perl file it can
> be done with a single "perl Makefile.PL; make test install".

Hm, I'm still unclear about whether mod_perl actually gets distributed
with its own version of the perl interpreter, etc.   Plus I've never used
.makrpl_args.mod_perl, no idea where to start with that one... isn't there
another way?

Re: which perl?

Posted by Steven Lembark <le...@wrkhors.com>.