Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Thomas Julian <th...@zoho.com> on 2016/11/24 06:20:50 UTC

Extremely large ValidationExecutor.MaxPoolSize in Cassandra 2.1.13

Hello,

We are using Cassandra 2.1.13 in a production environment. I was verifying Threadpools.MaxPoolSize to check for under/over allocated pool counts.

In our environment ValidationExecutor.MaxPoolSize is 2.147 Billion. Please refer the below image

Is this a known issue? Is it safe to ignore? Is there a problem with the allocation or with the metric calculation itself? Can we fix this with some configuration changes/patches?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Julian.

Re: Extremely large ValidationExecutor.MaxPoolSize in Cassandra 2.1.13

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
This is not a problem per se, it's just the maximum number of concurrent
threads allowed in the validation pool which is Integer.MAX_VALUE, which
will limit the maximum number of simultaneous validations the node will
handle. It may be too big, but you probably will never reach anywhere close
to this number before killing your node.

Incremental repair should limit the number of concurrent
repairs/validations in the same table anyway so this shouldn't be a
problem. Nevertheless, if you're worried you may still set this at the
runtime via CompactionManager.setMaximumValidatorThreads Mbean.