Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com> on 2013/02/12 16:24:30 UTC

Debug ActionScript workers

Hi,
Flex debugger (fdb tool) from Apache Flex SDK is not able to debug
ActionScript workers, the cool feature introduced in Flash Player 11.4
[1]. Even worse is that connected debugger prevents ActionScript workers
from executing.
Adobe AIR SDK distributions that include ActionScript Compiler 2.0 also
include updated fdb tool that is *able* to debug AS workers
(corresponding jars are [AIR SDK]/lib/legacy/fdb.jar and [AIR
SDK]/lib/legacy/legacy-common.jar).

When do you plan to integrate recent changes in debugger into Apache
Flex SDK repository?
As Adobe has donated Flex SDK and all its tools to Apache shouldn't
Adobe continue work on these tools in Apache repository rather than
somewhere in a private place?

[1]
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WS0191790375a6482943a72da3138ec8eec7e-8000.html

Alexander

Re: Debug ActionScript workers

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Alexander,

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Posted by "Guthmann, Scott" <sg...@on3solutions.com>.
Alexander:

> Flex debugger (fdb tool) from Apache Flex SDK is not able to debug ActionScript workers, the cool feature introduced in Flash Player 11.4 [1]. Even worse is that connected debugger prevents ActionScript workers from executing.
> Adobe AIR SDK distributions that include ActionScript Compiler 2.0 also include updated fdb tool that is *able* to debug AS workers (corresponding jars are [AIR SDK]/lib/legacy/fdb.jar and [AIR SDK]/lib/legacy/legacy-common.jar).

> As Adobe has donated Flex SDK and all its tools to Apache shouldn't Adobe continue work on these tools in Apache repository rather than somewhere in a private place?

I feel that Adobe has been working & contributing to Apache Flex in the open. Currently, there are at least 5 Full time employees from Adobe who have been sharing information with the project as true partners. These FTEs time and all of the IP and code donated by Adobe has been very generous IMO. These 5 are each code committers and have done a large share of the work since November 2011. Our project is mightily supported by Adobe's ongoing generosity with some of their smartest technical minds.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 2/13/13 1:03 AM, "Alexander Doroshko" <alexander.doroshko@jetbrains.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > On 12.02.2013 21:05, Alex Harui wrote:
> >> On 2/12/13 7:24 AM, "Alexander Doroshko" <
> alexander.doroshko@jetbrains.com>

> workers

> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WS0191790375a6482943a72da3138ec8eec7e-80
> >> Have you checked to see if the code in the Falcon branch is the same as
> >> ASC2.0?
> > As I see Falcon branch doesn't contain debugger command line tool (fdb)
> > [1].
> > I checked fdb code in sdk trunk [2] and in develop branch [3], but both
> > do not support debugging ActionScript Workers. As a proof - check fdb
> > help file [4]. It doesn't contain 'worker' and 'info workers' commands
> > whereas help for fdb tool from Adobe AIR SDK 3.4+ contains these
> commands.
> >
> OK, I will ask to see who did the code.  I'm not sure it can be donated,
> but
> I will try.

Big +1 for this.  It is important that other IDEs are able to support AS3
workers as well.  With the glimmer of hope that we see in AIR 3.6 on being
able to load multiple swfs in iOS, I am hoping that AS3 workers would be
supported in future AIR versions.  It would be great if IntelliJ IDEA (and
FDT,etc of course) can target this functionality as well.

Thanks,
Om

Re: Debug ActionScript workers

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I have the code, but it has to be legally cleared and I haven't made it a
priority.  I'm doing IP clearance on BlazeDS right now and it might also
require that some other files get donated and I'll bundle this with it.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
On 12.02.2013 21:05, Alex Harui wrote:
> On 2/12/13 7:24 AM, "Alexander Doroshko" <al...@jetbrains.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Flex debugger (fdb tool) from Apache Flex SDK is not able to debug
>> ActionScript workers, the cool feature introduced in Flash Player 11.4
>> [1]. Even worse is that connected debugger prevents ActionScript workers
>> from executing.
>> Adobe AIR SDK distributions that include ActionScript Compiler 2.0 also
>> include updated fdb tool that is *able* to debug AS workers
>> (corresponding jars are [AIR SDK]/lib/legacy/fdb.jar and [AIR
>> SDK]/lib/legacy/legacy-common.jar).
>>
>> When do you plan to integrate recent changes in debugger into Apache
>> Flex SDK repository?
>> As Adobe has donated Flex SDK and all its tools to Apache shouldn't
>> Adobe continue work on these tools in Apache repository rather than
>> somewhere in a private place?
>>
>> [1]
>> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/as3/dev/WS0191790375a6482943a72da3138ec8eec7e-8000
>> .html
> Have you checked to see if the code in the Falcon branch is the same as
> ASC2.0?
As I see Falcon branch doesn't contain debugger command line tool (fdb)
[1].
I checked fdb code in sdk trunk [2] and in develop branch [3], but both
do not support debugging ActionScript Workers. As a proof - check fdb
help file [4]. It doesn't contain 'worker' and 'info workers' commands
whereas help for fdb tool from Adobe AIR SDK 3.4+ contains these commands.

I was pointed that my original email was written in an offensive manner,
sorry about that, English is not my native. The purpose of my email was
to make sure that command line debugger tool (fdb) in Apache Flex SDK
will include features already implemented in fdb tool from Adobe AIR SDK.

Alexander

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/flex/falcon/trunk/
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/flex/sdk/trunk/modules/debugger/
[3]