Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/07 00:14:56 UTC

needs mentor signoff: Re: *DRAFT FINAL* June board report

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
> >> and provide client installs of
> >> latest release 3.4. This event was accomplished after much discussion
> >> among members and consultation
> >> with mentors.
> >> - Due to heightened interest, we are putting more resources (services,
> >> volunteers) into translation efforts
> >> - We are more putting effort into addressing trademark and third-party
> >> distributin requests. Ongoing emphasis as to
> >> how to accommodate and track these requests is becoming an important
> >> concern.
> >> - We are increasing our global reach by recruiting volunteers to help
> >> update and maintain the large set of native language home pages"
> >> - Established various social programming accounts for additional
> >> outreach: Twitter, Google+, Facebook
> >> - Setup two additional native language mailing lists
> >>

> >> Project Development Progress
> >> - Pootle services for the project were established and used.
> >> Translation services will be ongoing as new contributors for this
> >> service join.
> >> - We released Apache OpenOffice 3.4 on May 8, 2012.
> >> This release included:
> >> Six different client platform install versions in 15 languages
> >> Source tarballs in English
> >> Software development kit packaging for 5 platforms
> >> Language packs for 15 languages
> >>
> >> Over 3 million downloads the first month.
> >> A summary of downloads for the installs can be found at:
> >>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stats/timeline
> >>
> >> - We are currently working on an alternate repository for category-B
> >> code to comply
> >> with graduation requirements
> >> - An SGA was received from IBM for IBM Lotus Symphony.
> >> We are now preparing to import IBM Symphony changes into the OpenOffice
> >> repository
> >> This should be complete by the time of the June board meeting.
> >> - We are putting renewed effort into the "user experience". Apache
> >> OpenOffice is an end-user
> >> product, the best quality product and best experience for end users is
> >> one of our primary goals.
> >> - Testing and implementation of old update service for OpenOffice has
> >> been accomplished.
> >> This service is for older OpenOffice clients to identify updates and,
> >> optionally, install
> >> an update if available.
> >> - Community support forums remain popular with users but registration
> >> seems to have stabilized.
> >> The ooo-users list also is quite active.
> >> As Apache OpenOffice is a client product, we continue to investigate
> >> ways to direct
> >> users to appropriate support venues.
> >> - The developer list, ooo-dev, now has 409 subscribers and is very
> >> active with post averaging about
> >> 100 per day
> >
> > Thanks a lot for volunteering to create the report and taking care of
> all the details and fine points.
>
> I agree. I also really like the way you did this on the list!

again thanks for your kind words...and now it's there --

wiki.apache.org/incubator/June2012

needing mentor sign-off and darn! I forgot to include maybe IPMC help with
the additional web sites we're thinking of registering...

oh well...

> > Marcus

MzK

"Everything will be all right in the end...
      if it's not all right then it's not the end. "
             -- Sonny, "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel"