Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Archana Turaga <ar...@intervoice.com> on 2004/02/23 21:04:13 UTC

JSP action question

Hi,
 I have tried asking this question in all sorts of ways but never got a response...:-).. Possibly the way i word it..;-)

I will try again and see if i can explain my problem to you all and see if someone on the mailing list will answer this.

My requirement is very similar to the "Add User" capability in the add user form (which is velocity). When a user goes to the user browser and clicks "Add User" he is directed to a another velocity form where the data can be entered. This form just replaces the "User list" form (which shows the current users and a "Add User" link..basically within the same pane with all the other components within the portal visible). The form is not maximised but in the restored format. If i see the code i see that "GetpaneByName" being used to redirect to this page.

My questions:
1) Is it possible for me to achieve the same effect in JSP? I used jetspeed:dyanmicUri to redirect it to the template i wish..it displays the form but in a maximised format. I want to just replace my first templates view...so that the other components in the portal are still visible...just like the velocity example i specified above.
2) Can anyone point me to a place where information about jetspeed tags are given? the current JSPTAG lib example is not all self explanatory?
3)Are there any Jetspeed powered JSP potlet websites commercially available so that we can view to see what is possible with JSP portlets? There are some sample sites listed on the jetspeed page....but i do not know if any of them are JSP.
4)Right now i have a mickey-mouse solution for this. Please let me know if this is the correct approach. I have a page with a href link "configure". This link looks like this:

In the doConfigure function i do: setTemplate (data, "AddNodePage.jsp");//Direct it to        //the target page
Frankly i do not understand completely what exactly happens here to cause it display in the same view without maximising the portlet. When i hit cancel i have a doCancel that does the following (this is redirected to the original page i was using):
setTemplate (data, "Configuration.jsp");
 Do i need to do this in the Cancel approach or there is something more simpler?
 What is special about this function setTemplate which i cannot do using the regular jetspeed tags?

5) Can someone explain the JSP action model? what source code in jetspeed can i look at to get a clear understanding of how these pages are rendered?

Please help. I really need to get a grasp of what is going on here....it serves our purpose...but i'm not comfortable because i do not know what exactly is going on in the background here.

Thanks in advance for your time and patience.
Regards,
Archana