Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Carlos Roberto Yaconi Hitschfeld <cy...@bancochile.cl> on 2003/06/11 17:30:06 UTC

Problem configuring log4j with common classes

Hi!
I'm currently developing applications for a big enterprise, which consist on common classes that has our own connection framework (middleware), to a proprietary back-end system, and a lot of different web applications that has is own logic, and uses this common connector.
My trouble is when I try to configure the log4j, because I need that our middleware ALWAYS log with the same configuration, but the web applications has different configurations.
One approach to the problem is having one log4j.properties for each web application, but it means to replicate on all of this file the common configuration for the middleware.
The other approach, is to have only one log4j.properties with the configuration of all the applications, but it means to edit this file when a new application is deployed, and in could be unmanageable in time.
We are currently developing over tomcat 4.1.24, and our jar with the middleware is deploying on ../shared/lib and the web applications over /webpps/**.

I expected to have one configuration file for our middleware and one configuration file for each web application.. IT COULD BE POSIBLE????

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Atte,
Carlos Yaconi Hitschfeld
Anexo: 8-4619