Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/03/20 20:07:29 UTC

Re: [Git migration] Commit message format

On 21/02/18 16:48, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 21/02/18 16:10, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> Am 21.02.2018 um 16:53 schrieb Mark Thomas:
>>> The next issue on the list is the format of commit messages.
>>>
>>> The commit messages we are seeing for the tomcat-training repository
>>> have the same format as the commit message for the main tomcat repo will
>>> have.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any concerns regarding the format?
>>
>> Would we be able to determine the branch from the subject line, e.g.
>> would it be part of what is written between the square brackets? I
>> personally find it very convenient to be able to easily filter commit
>> mails by branch.
>
> Where there are new files described in subsequent commits, those commits
> don't have a branch in the subject. You can see how this works in
> practice on commits@infra.apache.org

Coming back to this.

Having seen some of the messages for the tomcat-training repo what are
people's thoughts?

Mark

Re: [Git migration] Commit message format

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/04/18 09:26, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 21/03/18 13:00, Coty Sutherland wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

>>> Having seen some of the messages for the tomcat-training repo what are
>>> people's thoughts?
>>
>> I have a couple small things.
>>
>> 1) The third block's formatting looks weird on my end. Example:
>>
>> "The following commit(s) were added to refs/heads/master by this push:
>>      new b13e925  First draft of logging module
>> b13e925 is described below"
>>
>> I'm not sure the first few lines are necessary (the automated message
>> bit and repository link), so they could be removed/cleaned up.
>
> This is a common / standard format used across all ASF git repos. I
> suspect there are usage styles (pushes of a large number of commits)
> where this makes more sense.
>
>> 2) Can we add a link to the commit somehow so that it closer resembles
>> the svn commit emails?
>
> I think we can ask infra for this. Is this a blocker for us to migrate?

Infra pointed me towards this file:
https://github.com/apache/infrastructure-puppet/blob/deployment/modules/gitbox/files/asfgit/git_multimail.py

and indicated that they would be receptive to patches.

Mark

Re: [Git migration] Commit message format

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:07 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 21/02/18 16:48, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> Would we be able to determine the branch from the subject line, e.g.
>>> would it be part of what is written between the square brackets? I
>>> personally find it very convenient to be able to easily filter commit
>>> mails by branch.
>>
>> Where there are new files described in subsequent commits, those commits
>> don't have a branch in the subject. You can see how this works in
>> practice on commits@infra.apache.org
>
> Coming back to this.
>
> Having seen some of the messages for the tomcat-training repo what are
> people's thoughts?

I have a couple small things.

1) The third block's formatting looks weird on my end. Example:

"The following commit(s) were added to refs/heads/master by this push:
     new b13e925  First draft of logging module
b13e925 is described below"

I'm not sure the first few lines are necessary (the automated message
bit and repository link), so they could be removed/cleaned up.

2) Can we add a link to the commit somehow so that it closer resembles
the svn commit emails?

Other than those things, I think it's OK.