Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Charles Souillard <Ch...@ext.bull.net> on 2006/01/10 09:57:53 UTC

Deploying SM in Tomcat and J2EE app servers

Hi all,

I am trying to understand how SM is "integrated" in geronimo and what
functionnalities it gives.

First of all, when I read the doc on the web site, I can understand that
there is a SM web app which is deployed into the web container of
Geronimo. This allows to list SM MBeans and to launch a packaged
HelloWorld sample.

There is a paragraph called "Deploying Components on servicemix-web.war"
which is not really enthousiastic :
This section is on hold until the Jira issue: is fixed.

So my first question is :
What means integrated ?? !!

As we can't deploy any component on the web app, I don't understand what
is the add value to deploy SM in a web container...

There is another part on the web site dealing with SM integration in
JBoss. As it is said in the web page, web can deploy new components in
the web app. But when I browse SM source code I never found something
aboutthe JBoss deployer...
Is it in the JBoss project  or is it deprecated since SM moved to Geronimo ?

Nevertheless, I am interesting in deployng the SM web app on my J2EE app
server. To do such a thing I tried the commands line given :
maven war (mvn war) but I get an error. Perhaps you had not time to move
the web app to SM 3.0 ?

Can you help me ?

Here is the stacktrace :

mvn war
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: servicemix
ArtifactId: servicemix
Version: 2.1-SNAPSHOT

  servicemix:servicemix:pom:2.1-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.reactor.MavenExecutionException: POM
'servicemix:servicemix' not found in repository: Unable to download the
artifact from any repository

  servicemix:servicemix:pom:2.1-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:365)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:278)
        at
        at
        at
        at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: POM
'servicemix:servicemix' not found in repository: Unable to download the
artifact from any repository

  servicemix:servicemix:pom:2.1-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:430)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.assembleLineage(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:988)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.build(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:594)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildFromSourceFile(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:304)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.build(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:274)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProject(DefaultMaven.java:515)
        at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.collectProjects(DefaultMaven.java:447)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.getProjects(DefaultMaven.java:351)
        ... 11 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactNotFoundException:
Unable to download the artifact from any repository

  servicemix:servicemix:pom:2.1-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:136)
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:63)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:387)
        ... 18 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.wagon.ResourceDoesNotExistException: Unable
to download the artifact from any repository
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.getArtifact(DefaultWagonManager.java:260)
        at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:124)
        ... 20 more
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Jan 10 09:56:08 CET 2006
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/2M
[INFO]

Thanks a  lot
Charles

RE: Maven 2

Posted by Roland Oertig <ro...@dplanet.ch>.
Thanks for the info (and the effort you spent to SM), sounds good.
Roland

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 1/13/06, Roland Oertig <ro...@dplanet.ch> wrote:

> Hi
> Being new to SM I'm wondering how decisions are taken in that project and
> by
> whom, to go in one direction or the other. In some Apache project the
> committers, sometimes the users can vote about project directions, options
> and decisions.

We follow the "Apache Way" so the committers make the decisions, calling
votes when required; though user feedback is always taken into account.

Interestingly, at the last JavaPolis (Java-Conference in Dec05) a Maven
> session was held where they clearly recommended that project based on m1
> should move to m2 and new projects shall use m2, as m2 is the future and
> it
> will take long time till an m3 will be available.
>
> Although there are obviously still some configuration problems in SM with
> m2, IMHO I would prefer to keep it in m2 and improve it over the time,
> instead of going back to m1.

We all would, if we could get m2 to work....

Basically m2 in SM works thought it is sometimes frustrating that it is not
> (yet) very stable. But I experience that it becomes more stable from day
> day (or at least week to week).
>
> What do you think about, should SM fall back to m1 or continue with m2?

We've spent an *awful* amount of time on the m2 build to try get it stable
so folks can actually build SM with no end in sight; so we're simply parking
the m2 support; its there, you can use it if you want, we're not taking it
away, but we're recommending folks stick with m1 for a while on SM.

e.g. I've tried everything I can think of (reinstalling m2, zapping ~/.m2
etc) and I still can't even build servicemix-core with m2 :)

So the m1 build is purely tactical until m2 gets stable

I'm wondering about the "voice of the users".

> My vote for m2: [+1]

Thanks
James

Cheers

--

James
-------

RE: Maven 2

Posted by Roland Oertig <ro...@dplanet.ch>.
Hi
Being new to SM I'm wondering how decisions are taken in that project and by
whom, to go in one direction or the other. In some Apache project the
committers, sometimes the users can vote about project directions, options
and decisions.

Interestingly, at the last JavaPolis (Java-Conference in Dec05) a Maven
session was held where they clearly recommended that project based on m1
should move to m2 and new projects shall use m2, as m2 is the future and it
will take long time till an m3 will be available.

Although there are obviously still some configuration problems in SM with
m2, IMHO I would prefer to keep it in m2 and improve it over the time,
instead of going back to m1.
Basically m2 in SM works thought it is sometimes frustrating that it is not
(yet) very stable. But I experience that it becomes more stable from day to

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@worldonline.fr>.

Posted by Charles Souillard <Ch...@ext.bull.net>.
Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@worldonline.fr>.

Charles Souillard wrote:

> What do I have to do to go back to m1 ?
> I only need to use maven 1 and run smaven install instead of mvn
> install ?

You may want to switch back to m1 when the maven files have been put in
svn back.
You can still continue to use m2, but the official build will be m1
until we manage to stabilize the m2 one.

> What do you mean by it is a demo ?
> If I generate the war and deploy it into Tomcat, it will not allow me
> use SM with all its features ?

The servicemix-web application contains examples  and ships with a xml
config file that contains
components you may want to remove.
That said, you can still use all features of ServiceMix.

Guillaume

> Rergards,
> Charles
>
> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
>
>> We are experiencing lots of problems with m2.
>> The build is quite unstable, and we are considering shifting back to
>> m1 until the build can be made stable enough.
>> You'd better try with m1.
>>
>> Note that servicemix-web is more a demo than a real web application.
>>
>> Guillaume Nodet
>>
>> Charles Souillard wrote:
>>
>>> Guillaume,
>>>
>>> is it planned to move servicemix-web to m2 ?
>>> I am interesting in using SM into tomcat...
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Regards,

Posted by Charles Souillard <Ch...@ext.bull.net>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@worldonline.fr>.