Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mark <st...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/18 19:29:03 UTC

Managing configurations

  What is the preferred way of managing multiple configurations.. ie
development, production etc.

Is there someway I can tell hadoop to use a separate conf directory
other than ${hadoop_home}/conf? I think I've read somewhere that one
should just create multiple conf directories and then symlink the one
you want to /conf but I was hoping there was more elegant way.

Thanks

Re: Managing configurations

Posted by Mark <st...@gmail.com>.
  On 8/18/10 9:45 PM, Hemanth Yamijala wrote:
> Mark,
>

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Mark<st...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>   What is the preferred way of managing multiple configurations.. ie
>> development, production etc.
>>
>> Is there someway I can tell hadoop to use a separate conf directory other
>> than ${hadoop_home}/conf? I think I've read somewhere that one should just
>> create multiple conf directories and then symlink the one you want to /conf
>> but I was hoping there was more elegant way.
> You can certainly have the configuration files in any directory, and
> use options like --config when launching to specify the alternate
> path.
Ahh.. this is what I was looking for. Thanks

Re: Managing configurations

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Mark <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  What is the preferred way of managing multiple configurations.. ie
> development, production etc.
>
> Is there someway I can tell hadoop to use a separate conf directory other
> than ${hadoop_home}/conf? I think I've read somewhere that one should just
> create multiple conf directories and then symlink the one you want to /conf
> but I was hoping there was more elegant way.
Cloudera installations on Debian systems follow this method. Its
elegant if you use the distro's `update-alternatives` feature to
maintain them.

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com