Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Dean Landolt <de...@deanlandolt.com> on 2008/07/17 22:57:50 UTC

the search api?

Paul Davis' work on integrating couch and
xapian<http://code.google.com/p/couchprojects/source/browse/trunk/query_servers/xapian/README?r=23>seems
like a good jumping-off point. But it seems to me it would be great if
I could do something like this with an abstraction layer between couch and
the search software (as an added bonus the code wouldn't have to be GPL'd
and could be distributed with couch). From what I can tell
pyndexter<http://swapoff.org/wiki/pyndexter/docs>looks like a nice
option -- it's got a great API and even has its own
built-in engine (pure-python, so slow, but no additional deps). Plus
pluggable multilingual stemming and a nice query syntax, etc...

I'm going to see if I can't turn this into a generic middleware layer that
can catch couch's updates on stdin to update the index, but I don't even
know where to begin in connecting the query server. From what I gather,
there's no longer a /db/_search api -- how are these calls supposed to be
invoked? Any information would be fantastic. Couch has proved everything
I've wanted and more -- but I'd kill for a servicable search option...

Dean

Re: the search api?

Posted by Dean Landolt <de...@deanlandolt.com>.
> And because Dean mentioned mental masturbation, I feel that it's my
> duty to link to Linus Torvalds' latest headline making email:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/706950

Ha! Always good for a laugh, that crazy kid. I honestly would have been
inclined to agree with him until about a few months ago when I learned how
ridiculously easy it was to exploit that Debian entropy
bug<http://www.metasploit.com/users/hdm/tools/debian-openssl/>
!

Re: the search api?

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Couples posts all at once, I chose to respond to this one strictly
because it included the phrase mental masturbation.

For Chris's not about the stdio json protocol, there's a patch on one
of the jira issues to make this more standardized. Specifically I
think to match the view server output. Not sure if the one blank line
vs. two is the same, but that should be easy (and is a good idea). I
think the important question though is if this is how things are going
to stay. And there are other fine details, but nothing that should
stand in the way of us hacking something together for the time being.

As to Noah's email, well, I really have no idea. If it turns out that
using GPLv3 is fine, then so be it. Otherwise, if we have to use
something else to get "out-of-the-box-search" then so be it.

And because Dean mentioned mental masturbation, I feel that it's my
duty to link to Linus Torvalds' latest headline making email:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/706950

Paul

Re: the search api?

Posted by Dean Landolt <de...@deanlandolt.com>.

Re: the search api?

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Noah,

Regardless of the outcome, thanks for following up on this. It kinda
sucks that we even have these issues with trying to use multiple open
source projects.

Anyway, we can always look harder at pyndexter or some of the other
projects if we're dead set on including out of the box search
functionality. (Which I would vote for.)

Paul

Re: the search api?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Re: the search api?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:49:56AM -0400, Dean Landolt wrote:
> > So the upshot of this seems to be that we can use Xapian, "link" to it and
> > even
> > bundle the source code if we wished.
>
> They're compatible, sure. But the downside is that by tying the packages
> together you'd effectively be subjecting the whole project to the terms of
> the GPL. Making a proprietary fork of the project would be made more
> difficult (a fundamental right of the Apache license). Of course, this
> doesn't matter at all to me as I only deal in free software, but it
> complicates things a bit. Apparently it scares the heck out of an awful lot
> of suits. I remember how difficult it was for me to convince the Library of
> Congress that they wouldn't have to release all their source code if I
> integrated even an LGPL tool (TinyMCE) into one of their systems. They're
> still not completely convinced. If it were plain GPL, I can't even imagine
> how that would have went.

Okay, I will take this to apache-legal later today when I have time.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep you all posted.

--
Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/

Re: the search api?

Posted by Dean Landolt <de...@deanlandolt.com>.

Re: the search api?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:14:36AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> See, that's the kicker. I don't by any means want to distribute the
> bindings. But by virtue of the GPL, if you're code uses, say for
> instance, the Xapian bindings you're code must be released under the
> GPL. Ie, by mere virtue of having "import xapian" in your python
> script it would have to be released under the GPL.

I think we can use and distribute Xapian and it's bindings with CouchDB.

I've been chatting with the Xapian developers and here's what came up.

15:26 < richardb> Xapian's source files all say:
15:26 < richardb> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
15:26 < richardb>  * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
15:26 < richardb>  * published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
15:26 < richardb>  * License, or (at your option) any later version.

15:27 < richardb> So, you can use it under version 3 if you want - we'll be
                  continuing to distribute it under v2 or later for the forseable future.

Digging a little further:

 The Free Software Foundation considers the Apache License, Version 2.0 to be a
 free software license, compatible with version 3 of the GPL.

  - http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

 Apache License, Version 2.0

    This is a free software license, compatible with version 3 of the
    GPL. Please note that this license is not compatible with GPL version 2,
    because it has some requirements that are not in the older
    version. These include certain patent termination and indemnification
    provisions.

 - http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html#GPL
 - http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/#SoftwareLicenses

Re: the search api?

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Noah,

See, that's the kicker. I don't by any means want to distribute the
bindings. But by virtue of the GPL, if you're code uses, say for
instance, the Xapian bindings you're code must be released under the
GPL. Ie, by mere virtue of having "import xapian" in your python
script it would have to be released under the GPL.

It wasn't until I put that one together that I realized how much I
dislike the GPL.

As to the erlang FTI idea, I'd be all for this too. Keeping as much in
erlang as possible seems like a good idea to me. It just so happens
that one of the short examples in Programming Erlang is about creating
such a beast. Granted its small and trivial, but its a place to start
from. Now, if anyone wants to go and implement a decent stemmer and

Re: the search api?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Re: the search api?

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Richard Heycock <rg...@roughage.com.au> wrote:
> Excerpts from paul.joseph.davis's message of Fri Jul 18 08:36:14 +1000 2008:
>> >
>> > Does this not apply to Xapian too?
>> >
>> > What is the problem with the GPL as long as we don't distribute the bindings?
>>
>> It depends on what license the bindings are released under. Assuming
>> they're GPL'd like Xapian's then the answer is that we distribute
>> separately. To me that's a slight annoyance. Pyndexter appears to be
>> under a BSDish license judging from the COPYING file. Not that I read
>> it, but it looks like the same format and length.
>
> It seems that Hyper Estraier is LGPL which means that you will be able to
> distribute it.
>
> rgh
>

>> > --
>> > Noah Slater, http://people.apache.org/~nslater/
>> >

> --
> +61 (0) 410 646 369
> [e]:  rgh@neoss.com.au
> [im]: rgh@jabber.org
>
> You're worried criminals will continue to penetrate into cyberspace, and
> I'm worried complexity, poor design and mismanagement will be there to meet
> them - Marcus Ranum

I would prefer one stable search api rather than only one external
tool packaged with couchdb. So people can use the tool they want : GPL
or not, with the language they want.

Obviously a full search engine in erlang integrated in couchdb would
be perfect. I don't know if some  already exist ?

- benoƮt

Re: the search api?

Posted by Richard Heycock <rg...@roughage.com.au>.

Re: the search api?

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: the search api?

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Re: the search api?

Posted by Dean Landolt <de...@deanlandolt.com>.
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Heya,
>
> Yeah, the Xapian GPL stuff is kind of a PITA. Lucene would also be an
> option for getting around dumb legalities.

Or CLucene (for those of us with a violent distaste for all things Java). I
just learned about a new FTI option: Hyper Estraier -- also GPL, sadly, but
according to some benchmarks I stumbled across a good bit faster than both
Xapian and Lucene. And the GPL issue shouldn't be an issue if we're not
distributing the bindings (hyperestraier has pure-python bindings in PyPI
(that pyndexter already uses)).

And oh holy cow, pyndexter looks pretty interesting after reading the
> first paragraph. If it doesn't suck underneath the hood it'd be a
> pretty good way to allow people to use whichever engine they want.

I've been poking around under the hood and it looks pretty well thought out.
I don't like the fact that there hasn't been a commit on it in almost a
year, but it's probably better than starting from scratch. The code is
clean, logical and very well documented. Queries are even based on a uri
model, and the queries themselves get broken out into a parse tree that can
be reassembled specifically for any FTI engine.

The only thing with the FTI is that the future of how we couple
> external software to couchdb is in a state of uncertainty. Between
> plugins and action servers etc, I was going to wait till there was
> something more steady in place before attacking this full force.

Action server? That's a new one -- I'll poke around the listserv for more on
this...

The _search url was taken out for the 0.8 release. It should still be
> in the lucene branch though. Hacking it back into trunk should be a
> fairly trivial patch.

I'll have to find the time to experiment. I'm a little iffy on hacking on
the couch source for now -- frankly I'm afraid learning Erlang might take me
down a rabbit hole I don't have the time for at the moment. Like you, I'd
just as soon wait for some consensus on an api. At least now I have the
tools to be ready when this starts to bubble to the surface. Thanks for the
info Paul...

Dean

Re: the search api?

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@grabb.it>.
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only thing with the FTI is that the future of how we couple
> external software to couchdb is in a state of uncertainty. Between
> plugins and action servers etc, I was going to wait till there was
> something more steady in place before attacking this full force.

The main question for CouchDB's code is the stdio json protocol. Once
that is nailed down, attaching various indexers should be
straightforward. There are some design questions here, mostly to do
with consistency with the rest of CouchDB. Eg: the view servers are
fed a json array followed by a single newline, but search expects an
object followed by two newlines. I haven't looked at the
DbUpdateNotificationProcess but we should try to make that the same as
well.

I'm not sure if there are opportunities for code reuse here, but if
there are we should take them.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com

Re: the search api?

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Heya,

Yeah, the Xapian GPL stuff is kind of a PITA. Lucene would also be an
option for getting around dumb legalities.

And oh holy cow, pyndexter looks pretty interesting after reading the
first paragraph. If it doesn't suck underneath the hood it'd be a
pretty good way to allow people to use whichever engine they want.

The only thing with the FTI is that the future of how we couple
external software to couchdb is in a state of uncertainty. Between
plugins and action servers etc, I was going to wait till there was
something more steady in place before attacking this full force.

The _search url was taken out for the 0.8 release. It should still be
in the lucene branch though. Hacking it back into trunk should be a
fairly trivial patch.

Anyway, hope that helps. Feel free to shout if you have other
questions, or if I haven't managed to answer the original ones.

Paul