Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Eva Flora <ev...@bluemartini.com> on 2002/05/21 20:52:50 UTC

Repost: How to retrieve attribute values

I am using SAXParser and have the following startElement()
implementation
and I am unable to retrieve attributes via the XMLAttrList.  I am
using xerces 1.4.4.  Please help.  I have looked everywhere
and I dont know what I am missing.  Has anyone done this
successfully before?

Thanks in advance,
Eva

I have the following startElement() method implementation:
public void startElement(org.apache.xerces.utils.QName elementQName,
                                 org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLAttrList

xmlAttrList,
                                 int attrListIndex) {
}
and I am unable to retrieve the attributes of the element that is being
processed.  A sample XML document is below:
<element1 firstname = "eva" lastname="flora">
    <element11>
        <element111>test</element111>
        <element112>test</element112>
    </element11>
</element1>

I need to retrieve the "firstname" attribute name.
xmlAttrList.getLength() returns
2 which is correct.  I have tried xmlAttrList.getValue(),
xmlAttrList.getAttrName() to no avail.  I have also tried
xmlAttrList.getAttributeList(attrListIndex) then looped
through the list and the attribute name is still not getting returned.
How do I retrieve the attribute values?  What am I doing wrong?