Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru> on 2011/02/04 14:22:08 UTC

ExcelAnt contribution

Hi All,

I started reviewing the ExcelAnt contribution (see Bugzilla #50610 and
http://www.github/jsvede/excelant).
The code is very cool, but I would like to clarify two things before I
apply  it:

(1) ExcelAnt depends on ant.jar. Are we OK to include it in the
compilation classpath? It is a compile-time dependency, ant.jar is
needed only to compile the new Ant tasks and will not be included in POI
distributions.

(2) What is the proper place for this code? I propose poi-scratchpad,
later we can move it to poi-main.

Regards,
Yegor

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Jon Svede wrote:
> I am going to update the ticket with the latest code which will include
> the tests that I have.

Great

> The excelant.util package is probably the most important package for
> test coverage and that is at 40% right now.

The package name should probably change to something like
org.apache.poi.ant - Yegor would you agree?

> It sounds like Yegor/Nick are going to do the build integration?  Or do
> you want me to take a stab at it based on this thread? I am happy to
> give it a shot.

If no-one has done it by late next week, I ought to have some time to pull
it together

Nick

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Posted by Jon Svede <js...@yahoo.com>.
I am going to update the ticket with the latest code which will include the
tests that I have.

The excelant.util package is probably the most important package for test
coverage and that is at 40% right now.

It sounds like Yegor/Nick are going to do the build integration?  Or do you want
me to take a stab at it based on this thread? I am happy to give it a shot.

Jon

________________________________
Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, David Fisher wrote:
>> Also, do we need the full ant jar, or is there a smaller interface jar
>> for people compiling extensions that we could link against?
>
> If someone is using the ExcelAnt tool then they will be using Ant and
> should have the ant.jar and all of ant installed already, or am I
> missing something?

It's for people compiling poi, rather than those using the ant extension,
where a smaller jar to build against would be nice

Nick

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
>> I agree. I've just realized that putting it in poi-main will affect Maven distribution and we will have to add an Ant dependency in poi-main.pom. Are you OK with ant.jar in the lib directory and the sources in src/excelant relative to the project root? This way ExcelAnt will be a normal sub-project, like scratchpad and contrib.
>
> Yup, that's fine for me. We already have the ooxml sub-project with extra dependencies, so I think we could do this along the same lines.
>
> Also, do we need the full ant jar, or is there a smaller interface jar for people compiling extensions that we could link against?

If someone is using the ExcelAnt tool then they will be using Ant and should have the ant.jar and all of ant installed already, or am I missing something?

Regards,
Dave

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> Looks like we will have to use the big ant.jar. I don't see a smaller
> interface jar in public repositories.

It'll add 2mb to our source tarball, and 2mb to what you have to have
downloaded for you when you first use ant to build, but that's probably
not the end of the world

Nick

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Ignore my previous post, it was a slip of my thumb.

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

Re: ExcelAnt contribution

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.