Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net> on 2008/05/13 00:05:25 UTC

ASF hosted machines for TCK testing

All,

We have discussed in the past the idea of getting some ASF hosted
machines that we can use to run and share TCK test results for Geronimo.
  With more folks coming on board running TCK tests this seems to be
getting more and more important.  It would also be great if we could get
some of the automation working again on these dedicated machines ... but
I think we need to secure some machines first.  For now, I think we
should just get something we can share for Geronimo with an eye toward
possible sharing across other ASF projects in the future.

Some recent discussions with infra indicate that the Geronimo PMC needs
to submit a proposal for these machines if we ever hope to get some. The
proposal must meet the criteria listed below in addition to some more
obvious things such as the number and specifications of the machines.
The Geronimo PMC must approve and then make the request to ASF infra but
we can discuss the requirements here and formulate the proposal.  Please
jump in if you have opinions on the specs and number of machines.  Keep
in mind that we need to keep this request reasonable if we have a hope
of getting it accepted.  I also imagine that we'll have to volunteer
some people to help manage these machines .... volunteers?

I'll start to put together a proposal with your input and when we think
it is complete enough I'll forward it to the PMC for further action.

The sooner we can get this proposal pulled together the better off we'll
be.

Does anybody have a sample proposal for something similar from infra?
I'm not sure how detailed this proposal must be.

Thanks,
Joe

ASF infra checklist:
---
This provides a list of requirements and doctrines for web applications
that wish to be deployed on the Apache Infrastrcture.  It is intended to
help address many of the recurring issues we see with deployment and
maintainence of applications.

Definition of 'system': Any web application or site which will receive
traffic from public users in any manner.

Definition of 'critical systems': Any web application or site which runs
under www.apache.org, or is expected to receive a significant portion of
traffic.

1) All systems must be generally secure and robust. In cases of failure,
they should not damage the entire machine.

2) All systems must provide reliable backups, at least once a day, with
preference to incremental, real time or <1 hour snapshots.

3) All systems must be maintainable by multiple active members of the
infrastructure team.

4) All systems must come with a 'runbook' describing what to do in event
of failures, reboots, etc.  (If someone who has root needs to reboot the
box, what do they need to pay attention to?)

5) All systems must provide at least minimal monitoring via Nagios.

6) All systems must be restorable and relocatable to other machines
without significant pain.

7) All systems must have some kind of critical mass.  In general we do
not want to host one offs of any system.

8) All system configuration files must be checked into Subversion.

9) All system source must either be checked into Subversion, be at a
well-known public location, or is provided by the base OS.  (Hosting
binary-only webapps is a non-starter.)

10) All systems, prior to consideration of deployment, must provide a
detailed performance impact analysis (bandwidth and CPU).  How are
techniques like HTTP caching used?  Lack of HTTP caching was MoinMoin's
initial PITA.

11) All systems must have clearly articulated, defined, and recorded
dependencies.

12) All critical systems must be replicated across multiple machines,
with preference to cross-atlantic replication.

13) All systems must have single command operations to start, restart
and stop the system.  Support for init scripts used by the base
operating system is preferred.

Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> I did a quick search on the web for what it would take to build two
> systems.  Here is the initial SWAG.
>
> SuperMicro CSE-825S2-R700LPV U2 Rackmountable eATX Case (700W PSU,
> Silver)        $750 x  2 = $1500
> Sony DRU190A 20X DVD Rewritable Drive - 20x
> DVD±R                                         $40 x   2 =        80
> Dynatron H53G 2U CPU Heatsink For Intel
> Xeon                                             $50 x   4 =      200
> Memory  - 2GB DDR2 667 ECC Fully
> Buffered                                             $80 x 16 =   1280
> Disk -  Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD7500AYYS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache
> SATA        $200 x 4  =     800
>
> Here is a SWAG at what we'd need to put two 8-core 16GB systems with
> logical mirroring 750GB storage.  The cost is $3860 from the above.  I'd
> round up to $4000 for tax, shipping, etc.
>
> We might be able to buy other systems for a lower  price point.  I've
> rounded to be conservative on cost.   I would Run Linux with Xen and 4
> VM's per server which would give us 8 server instances to work from.
>
> Thoughts welcome.
>

> Motherboard Information
> http://shopper.cnet.com/cases/supermicro-cse-825s2-r700lpv/4014-3030_9-31954268.html
>

> Heatsink Information
> http://www.netfreez.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=tags&searchstr=xeon
>

> DVD Information
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3569869&CatId=482
>

> Memory
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208200
>
> Disk
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136144

Matt,

This is great detail.  Thanks for pulling it together.  I think it would
be great if we could build and donate those machines ... but from some
discussions with infra it seems they would prefer to order machines
directly.  That way they can call in for support as the owners of the
machines and they can ensure that they meet all of their requirements
for power supplies, rack dimensions, rails, etc ... plus have some
general standards in the configuration.  Anything we can do to make
their life easier is a plus.

I will use your detailed analysis for the request though, which I plan
to have in a proposal on this list very soon.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration in Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

Is there interest in tighter integration between Tuscany/Geronimo? Would
> there be interest in generating a Tuscany Plugin for Geronimo? Running
> Tuscany as a service?
>
> --kevan

Could you explain a bit more about what it means to "run Tuscany as a
service"? Are there any examples or doc on that I could look at?

   ...ant

Re: Webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration in Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

<snip>

> Is there interest in tighter integration between Tuscany/Geronimo? Would
> there be interest in generating a Tuscany Plugin for Geronimo? Running
> Tuscany as a service?
>
> --kevan

Yes! I think that would be really useful. Right now we've some ongoing work
getting Tomcat and the new Tuscany distributed domain stuff working together
so having Geronimo also able to do something similar would be ideal. We've
also a Google Summer of Code student working on better Tuscany/SCA
management in the Geronimo admin console so that would be helped by this as
well.

  ...ant

Re: Webapp-based Tuscany/Geronimo integration in Tuscany SCA Java 1.2 release

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Kevan.

Thank you for pointing out the "Re" issue.

As for the next steps, we have some initial thoughts captured at http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Tuscany+Geronimo+Integration+Next+Steps. Any ideas and contributions are very welcome!

Raymond

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raymond,

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Raymond,

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 15, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> I did a quick search on the web for what it would take to build two
> systems.  Here is the initial SWAG.
>
> SuperMicro CSE-825S2-R700LPV U2 Rackmountable eATX Case (700W PSU,
> Silver)		$750 x  2 = $1500
> Sony DRU190A 20X DVD Rewritable Drive - 20x DVD±R
> $40 x   2 =        80
> Dynatron H53G 2U CPU Heatsink For Intel Xeon											 $50 x   4
> =      200
> Memory  - 2GB DDR2 667 ECC Fully Buffered											 $80 x 16 =   1280
> Disk -  Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD7500AYYS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB
> Cache SATA		$200 x 4  =     800
>
> Here is a SWAG at what we'd need to put two 8-core 16GB systems with
> logical mirroring 750GB storage.  The cost is $3860 from the above.
> I'd round up to $4000 for tax, shipping, etc.
>
> We might be able to buy other systems for a lower  price point.
> I've rounded to be conservative on cost.   I would Run Linux with
> Xen and 4 VM's per server which would give us 8 server instances to
> work from.

Cool. As long as Infra can pick them up and manage them, that's great.

In the past, we've always run into hardware/management issues in the
colo's that we've run the machines in. IMO, the more "standard" we are
the more likely that Infra will be able to administer/repair these
machines. Fewer headaches all the way around.

--kevan

Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
If we want to run multiple images on a machine, then I'd up the
requirements to 2 or 4 way AMD/Intel Quad core with a minimum of 8GB RAM
for 4 cores and 16GB for 8 cores.  That way, you can have 2 or 3 images
running through the buckets at full force, while having another image
there for debugging test failures or for testing out new depend levels
before dropping it into the build (like Tomcat 6.0.16...)

Two 2xQuad machines would be great (these come in 1U vs. 2U or more for
4xQuad) and with 8GB RAM each and as much disk space as possible for
storing multiple vm images per release (Geronimo 2.1.2 and 2.2.)

-Donald

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 15, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> On May 14, 2008, at 10:32 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

>>> Those machines are owned by IBM. IBM would be happy to donate them
>>> to the ASF. However, they then become a potential support
>>> annoyance/headache/migraine for Infra. IIUC, it's simpler, more
>>> manageable, etc to buy new, standard hardware and roll it into
>>> mainstream ASF infrastructure.
>>
>> Um... that is not what I had understood, I was under the impression
>> that AMD donated them to the Geronimo project for TCK mucky muckski.
>
> AMD donated them to Geronimo.  They are "owned" by the project.

They could have been donated for use by Geronimo or GBuild. However,
they can't be "owned" by Geronimo. The Geronimo project can't own
anything... The ASF can own things, but not individual projects.

I have no problems with someone/something donating the machines to the
ASF. However, I doubt they want them. They would become an admin
liability for ASF Infra.

--kevan

Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On May 15, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

>> Well, you can't donate to 'Geronimo' per se only to the ASF. I
>> wasn't involved directly in this, but I believe the heritage for
>> the machines is AMD -> IBM. IBM people used the machines for their
>> geronimo work (including GBuild).
>
> I worked with AMD to acquire these systems.  When we got the systems
> from AMD they agreed to provide them for the use of the GBuild
> project and were never in a corporate owner's asset list.  I
> provided AMD with the ship to address (which I think was David
> Blevins) so continuing to use them for the Geronimo is totally in
> line with what the original intention was.
>
> I think the machines would be fine except that they are now about 4-
> years old and had some issues that Jason struggled with so they may
> not be highly dependable.  As far as Lights Out Management I suspect
> that the this means that we would likely plug them into a remote
> power management unit so they can be power cycled remotely and not
> require any manual intervention.  I don't know if these machines
> would qualify for that kind of support.  We'll need to investigate
> that.
>
> Is someone tracking them down and do we have a current inventory on
> what they are?
>
> As far as machine requirements here is my input.  Given that TCK is
> largely single threaded a quad-core system would be fine.  Running a
> hypervisor like XEN would make the most sense.  I suggest 4GB per
> server instance and with a Quad core that would be 16GB.  We can go
> lower on memory but we'll since TCK runs servers, adjunct Java
> processes, etc we'll grow into the extra head room.  So, that said,
> we should acquire a Quad-Core 16GB system.
>
> I have some SuperMicro X7DB8+ motherboards (2) I can donate.  I have
> processors as well (2.66Ghz dual core or quad core).  To make these
> whole we'll need cases, heat sinks and memory.  If we figure out
> that this will save us some dough I'd be happy to build the systems
> and prepare them to send to Infra. I've been busy with other stuff
> but I do have time and resources to help out here.
>
> Should I work up a list of required pieces and approximate prices to
> acquire and ship to the remote locations?

Yes, I'm certainly assuming (hoping) that we'll be able to run
multiple images on a single box. We should check to see what sort of
heap sizes we're allocating to the JVM processes during our TCK runs.
To help with calculating guidelines for memory per core.

We also need to discuss with ASF Infra specifics about running XEN (or
similar) hypervisor. We need to be aware of any concerns they might
have...

--kevan

Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> eh, might as well pull the kids out now... not sure what to do with
> them, but eh, at the least sell them on ebay and buy me a beer.
>
> :-P
>
> --jason

>>> I worked with AMD to acquire these systems.  When we got the systems
>>> from AMD they agreed to provide them for the use of the GBuild
>>> project and were never in a corporate owner's asset list.  I provided
>>> AMD with the ship to address (which I think was David Blevins) so
>>> continuing to use them for the Geronimo is totally in line with what
>>> the original intention was.
>>>
>>> I think the machines would be fine except that they are now about
>>> 4-years old and had some issues that Jason struggled with so they may
>>> not be highly dependable.  As far as Lights Out Management I suspect
>>> that the this means that we would likely plug them into a remote
>>> power management unit so they can be power cycled remotely and not
>>> require any manual intervention.  I don't know if these machines
>>> would qualify for that kind of support.  We'll need to investigate that.
>>>
>>> Is someone tracking them down and do we have a current inventory on
>>> what they are?
>>
>> Just a note on these AMD machines, butters and bebe.  They're still in
>> the US Simula (now Exist) colo and unless we have another place to put
>> them they'll eventually be shipped off to Hong Kong where the new
>> Exist colo is.  They're still up and running, just have no public IPs.
>>
>> The two Dell U1 servers (stan and kyle)  I own are sitting in my
>> closet and I'd be happy to hand them over to the ASF.  I offered them
>> before, but the lack of power in the cage was really the issue.  Happy
>> to throw them back into the pot if we can get that worked out.

 From what I understand power is still an issue.  Apparently space is
also a problem at the current data center.  There is talk that they
might have to get space at another data center, new cage, etc.. to host
these machines.  I guess we'll hear more once we submit a request.

Joe

Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On May 14, 2008, at 2:29 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
> I'm not sure where those are at but I'm sure we can track them down.
> Another bit of criteria that I learned for ASF hosted machines is
> that they must be rack-mountable and have "lights-out management"
> LOMs.  Is that the case for your apartment heating machines?

I've no clue what LOM means...

--jason

Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Jason Dillon wrote:
> On May 13, 2008, at 10:42 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>> Right I was running 2 very beefy machines manually in a dedicated
>> fashion with no automation.  If we want something to share, multiple
>> VM images, and multiple concurrent tests then it would need to be a
>> bit more robust than what I was using.  So I was planning to ask for 4
>> multi-core machines (need to do some research on CPU capacity) and 3-4
>> GB RAM each.  I'll include that we could get by with just 2 machines
>> for a time while we work out the automation/sharing issues.
>>
>> I sent a note asking for some clarification on what they are looking
>> for in a proposal and an example (if available).  I'd like for
>> whatever we request to be in line with most of their other systems in
>> terms of OS level/version, VM software, etc...  so that we can avoid
>> the "one off" issue they list while still getting a system that can
>> support our testing needs.
>
> What happened to the AMD systems which were heating up my apartment last
> year?  2 4x (dual core) 16g machines with nice RAID cards, etc... ?

I'm not sure where those are at but I'm sure we can track them down.
Another bit of criteria that I learned for ASF hosted machines is that
they must be rack-mountable and have "lights-out management"
LOMs.  Is that the case for your apartment heating machines?

We'll probably want more something like 8-core machines (or possibly
4-core).  I was hoping for 3-4 GB per core ... but we might have to
settle for closer to 2 as Donald suggested.  I'm not really sure what
the limits on RAM are for these types of machines.

Joe

Re: ASF hosted machines for TCK testing

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.
Jason Warner wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net
> <ma...@earthlink.net>> wrote:
>
>     Jay D. McHugh wrote:
>
>         I'll volunteer to help out on supporting the machines.
>

>     Thanks Jay!
>

> I'd be willing to help support the machines as well, if more people are
> needed, assuming you don't need to be a sysadmin superstar to do so.

Excellent Jason .... Thanks for volunteering.  I'm going to indicate
that these machines would be developer maintained (unless I hear any
strong objections) and as such we will need 2 developers assigned to them.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted by Jason Warner <ja...@apache.org>.

--