Posted to users@felix.apache.org by li...@io7m.com on 2017/04/29 16:31:22 UTC

Avoiding copying jars in the bundle cache?

Hello.

I have a somewhat unusual application where I have rather large and
frequently updated bundles (the bundles themselves are simple, but
contain fairly large data resources). Because of this, I'd like to
avoid copying the jar files into the bundle cache when bundles are
installed as that effectively ends up using double the disk space (the
bundles to be deployed are kept in a read-only directory and I don't
have any guarantee that old bundles will be deleted in a timely manner).
From what I can tell, Felix can't do this right now, but is there any
pleasant way that I could implement this?

Re: Avoiding copying jars in the bundle cache?

Posted by li...@io7m.com.
On 2017-04-29T19:01:55 +0200
Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Felix does support this. Just install the bundles with a reference:
> protocol. E.g.:
>
> reference:file:foo/bar.jar

... I had no idea this existed!

Thanks very much, this will save me a lot of time and effort.

Re: Avoiding copying jars in the bundle cache?

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
Felix does support this. Just install the bundles with a reference:
protocol. E.g.:

reference:file:foo/bar.jar

regards,

Karl

On Saturday, April 29, 2017, <li...@io7m.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a somewhat unusual application where I have rather large and
> frequently updated bundles (the bundles themselves are simple, but
> contain fairly large data resources). Because of this, I'd like to
> avoid copying the jar files into the bundle cache when bundles are
> installed as that effectively ends up using double the disk space (the
> bundles to be deployed are kept in a read-only directory and I don't
> have any guarantee that old bundles will be deleted in a timely manner).
> From what I can tell, Felix can't do this right now, but is there any
> pleasant way that I could implement this?

Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com