Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by James Turton <dz...@apache.org> on 2022/02/25 14:17:34 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache Drill 1.20.0 Released

---- Note from the release manager.
As we announce Drill 1.20 to the world I'd like to point to the fact
that this release, and all of Drill, is full of valuable contributions
from talented Ukrainian developers whom many of us know personally.  On
behalf of the Drill community may I express once more our deepest
concern for their well-being during the unfolding crisis in their homeland.
----

On behalf of the Apache Drill community, I am happy to announce the
release of Apache Drill 1.20.0.

Drill is an Apache open-source SQL query engine for Big Data exploration.
Drill is designed from the ground up to support high-performance analysis
on the semi-structured and rapidly evolving data coming from modern Big
Data applications, while still providing the familiarity and ecosystem of
ANSI SQL, the industry-standard query language. Drill provides
plug-and-play integration with existing Apache Hive and Apache HBase
deployments.

For information about Apache Drill, and to get involved, visit the
project website [1].

Total of 109 JIRA's are resolved in this release of Drill with the following
new features and improvements [2]:

[DRILL-1282] - Add read and write support for Parquet v2
[DRILL-7985] - Support Mongo aggregate, union, project, limit, sort
pushdowns
[DRILL-8027] - Format plugin for Apache Iceberg
[DRILL-8073] - Add support for persistent table and storage aliases
[DRILL-8107] - Hadoop2 backport Maven profile
[DRILL-7969] - Add support for reading and writing Parquet files using
Brotli, LZ4 and Zstandard codecs
[DRILL-7971] - Support Elasticsearch authentication
[DRILL-7988] - Add credentials provider support for API connections in
HTTP plugin
[DRILL-7995] - Add ability to query OCI OS
[DRILL-8005] - Add Writer to JDBC Storage Plugin
[DRILL-8011] - Add Dropbox File System to Drill
[DRILL-8022] - Add Provided Schema Support for Excel Reader
[DRILL-8028] - Add PDF Format Plugin
[DRILL-8047] - Add a custom authn provider for HashiCorp Vault
[DRILL-8054] - Add SAS Format Plugin
[DRILL-8056] - Add OAuth2 Support for HTTP Rest Plugin

For the full list please see release notes [3].

The binary and source artifacts are available here [4].

Thanks to everyone in the community who contributed to this release!

1. https://drill.apache.org/
2. https://drill.apache.org/blog/2022/02/25/drill-1.20-released/
3. https://drill.apache.org/docs/apache-drill-1-20-0-release-notes/
4. https://drill.apache.org/download/

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Drill 1.20.0 Released

Posted by Jingchuan Hu <ji...@u.northwestern.edu>.
It's so exciting for the release! Vova helped me a lot with my PR. Hope
our Ukrainian friends will stay safe.