Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Ex...@nokia.com on 2001/03/06 12:59:06 UTC

ResourceService in TR

TR initializes the resource service with:

services.TurbineResourceService.classname=org.apache.turbine.services.resour
ces.TurbineResourceService

The SERVICE_NAME constant in the ResourceService interface is
"ResourceService". I suppose that the initialized service will not be
available for clients, but the corresponding bootstrap service is the one in
use. Not a big deal, but caused me some trouble when I tried to figure out
the initialization sequence of Turbine.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but either the name should be changed or the line
commented out as the bootstrap service uses the same class.

-- Ilkka

[mailto:ext-ilkka.priha@nokia.com]

Re: ResourceService in TR

Posted by Sean Legassick <se...@informage.net>.
In message <3A...@e-point.pl>, Rafal Krzewski
<Ra...@e-point.pl> writes
>(BTW. the change was approved by voting twice, but nobody felt like
>actually doing
>it)

Well I still think it is a good idea, and I'm in principle willing to do
the work but I'm right up to my ears this week in other stuff and have a
couple of outstanding Turbine tasks too...

But soon is a good idea, as various other things are breaking
code/TR.props right now anyway.

--
Sean Legassick
sean@informage.net

Re: ResourceService in TR

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.
Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@e-point.pl> writes:

> Ext-Ilkka.Priha@nokia.com wrote:
>
> > The SERVICE_NAME constant in the ResourceService interface is
> > "ResourceService". I suppose that the initialized service will not be
> > available for clients, but the corresponding bootstrap service is the one in
> > use. Not a big deal, but caused me some trouble when I tried to figure out
> > the initialization sequence of Turbine.
>
> Um, there is some inconsistency in service identifiers. It was pointed
> out
> by servral people at different times, that the 'Turbine' prefix on the
> service identifiers is redundant, or even more - misleading. When one
> requests a service instance from the broker, he does not care if the
> implementation of the service will be Turbinish or not. The identifier
> itself should not imply it.

I agree that this is confusing.

> Right now, some services (PoolBrokerService, MapBrokerService and
> ResourceService)
> don't have the Turbine prefix in their SERVICE_NAME strings, the others
> do.
>
> The proper fix would be removing the prefix from all SERVICE_NAME
> constants, and
> modifying TurbineResources.master accordingly. The downside of that is
> that
> all currently deployed TR.props files will need to be fixed...
>
> (BTW. the change was approved by voting twice, but nobody felt like
> actually doing
> it)

Heh.  The "Turbine" should go.
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>

Re: ResourceService in TR

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@e-point.pl>.
Ext-Ilkka.Priha@nokia.com wrote:

> The SERVICE_NAME constant in the ResourceService interface is
> "ResourceService". I suppose that the initialized service will not be
> available for clients, but the corresponding bootstrap service is the one in
> use. Not a big deal, but caused me some trouble when I tried to figure out
> the initialization sequence of Turbine.

Um, there is some inconsistency in service identifiers. It was pointed
out
by servral people at different times, that the 'Turbine' prefix on the
service identifiers is redundant, or even more - misleading. When one
requests a service instance from the broker, he does not care if the
implementation of the service will be Turbinish or not. The identifier
itself should not imply it.

Right now, some services (PoolBrokerService, MapBrokerService and
ResourceService)
don't have the Turbine prefix in their SERVICE_NAME strings, the others
do.

The proper fix would be removing the prefix from all SERVICE_NAME
constants, and
modifying TurbineResources.master accordingly. The downside of that is
that
all currently deployed TR.props files will need to be fixed...

(BTW. the change was approved by voting twice, but nobody felt like
actually doing
it)

Rafal

--