Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/03 17:33:08 UTC

[5] Components / optional / compat

Proposal:

Let's split 5.0 code into several directories ( components - like in
commons ).

'catalina' will remain the 'core' interfaces and required features
( i.e. the minimal stuff ).

'naming' for jndi stuff

'compat' for all the interfaces from 4.0 that we deprecate but
preserve for backward compat ( Logger ? etc ).

'modules' for optional things. Launchers, specific realms, etc could
go here.

On a separate issue, there are few things that may be very usefull
independent of tomcat, and even if we don't move them to commons we
should try to make them independently useable:

- naming
- users
- class loading - catalina has one of the most advanced loaders

Costin

Re: [5] Components / optional / compat

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Proposal:
>
> Let's split 5.0 code into several directories ( components - like in
> commons ).
>
> 'catalina' will remain the 'core' interfaces and required features
> ( i.e. the minimal stuff ).
>
> 'naming' for jndi stuff
>
> 'compat' for all the interfaces from 4.0 that we deprecate but
> preserve for backward compat ( Logger ? etc ).
>
> 'modules' for optional things. Launchers, specific realms, etc could
> go here.
>
> On a separate issue, there are few things that may be very usefull
> independent of tomcat, and even if we don't move them to commons we
> should try to make them independently useable:
>
> - naming
> - users
> - class loading - catalina has one of the most advanced loaders

+1. Good idea.

I'll help with the reorg if you can wait for next week.

Remy