Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2015/03/02 14:03:43 UTC

[DISCUSS] Make a release to be announced at ApacheCon

Hi all!

ApacheCon is coming up and it is the 15th anniversary of the Apache
Software Foundation.

In the course of the conference, Apache would like to make a series of
announcements. If we manage to make a release during (or shortly before)
ApacheCon, they will announce it through their channels.

I am very much in favor of doing this, under the strong condition that we
are very confident that the master has grown to be stable enough (there are
major changes in the distributed runtime since version 0.8 that we are
still stabilizing). No use in a widely announced build that does not have
the quality.

Flink has now many new features that warrant a release soon (once we fixed
the last quirks in the new distributed runtime).

Notable new features are:
 - Gelly
 - Streaming windows
 - Flink on Tez
 - Expression API
 - Distributed Runtime on Akka
 - Batch mode
 - Maybe even a first ML library version
 - Some streaming fault tolerance

Robert proposed to have a feature freeze mid Match for that. His
cornerpoints were:

Feature freeze (forking off "release-0.9"): March 17
RC1 vote: March 24

The RC1 vote is 20 days before the ApacheCon (13. April).
For the last three releases, the average voting time was 20 days:
R 0.8.0 --> 14 days
R 0.7.0 --> 22 days
R 0.6   --> 26 days

Please share your opinion on this!

Greetings,
Stephan

Re: [DISCUSS] Make a release to be announced at ApacheCon

Posted by Márton Balassi <mb...@apache.org>.
On the streaming side:

Must have:
  * Tests for the fault tolerance (My first priority this week)
  * Merging Gyula's recent windowing PR [1]

Really needed:
  * Self-join for DataStreams (Gabor has a prototype, PR coming today) [1]
  * ITCase tests for streaming examples (Peter & myself, review and clean
up pending) [3]
  * Different streaming/batch cluster memory settings (Stephan) [4]
  * Make projection operator chainable (Gabor Gevay - a wannabe GSoC
student, PR coming soon) [5]
  * Parallel time discretization (Gyula, PR coming tomorrow) [6]

Would be nice to have:
  * Complex integration test for streaming (Peter) [7]
  * Extend streaming aggregation tests to include POJOs [8]
  * Iteration bug for large input [9]

We would also need a general pass over the streaming API for javadocs.

This is not one week but we can hopefully fit into two weeks.

[1] https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/465

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
I will follow up again with Sally this week if there any special
messaging or communications needed to do for the Apache Con from our
side.

- Henry

Posted by Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com>.
@Timo: No feature freeze for this, yes.

Posted by Timo Walther <tw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Márton Balassi <mb...@apache.org>.
+1 for the early release.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1 for a beta release: 0.9-beta.

Posted by Paris Carbone <pa...@kth.se>.

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <kt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
If we wanted to, we could still release a -milestone2 even with a
-milestone.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
I'll post the checklist along with the preview release candidate (RC0).

I actually wanted to create it today (as announced three days ago) but
apache's git repositories are down :(
I'll try again tomorrow.

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
+1 for 0.9.0-milestone-1

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <kt...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
+1 for 0.9.0-M1 (or milestone-1)

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
On Friday, March 27, 2015, Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 for 0.9.0-milestone-1

+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Make a release to be announced at ApacheCon

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
+1 for 0.9.0-milestone-1

Re: [DISCUSS] Make a release to be announced at ApacheCon

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
+1 for 0.9.0-milestone-1

Posted by Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 0.9.0-milestone-1.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, March 26, 2015, Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm fine with milestone.
> But I would really like to call it "milestone" instead of "M1" .. because I
> actually never though about that weird version name of Jetty ... I fear
> that our users would also be confused by this.

Same here.

Re: [DISCUSS] Make a release to be announced at ApacheCon

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
I'm fine with milestone.

Posted by Kostas Tzoumas <kt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
I am also big time skeptical.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
So you're saying regarding the release you don't feel very confident that
we manage to fork off release-0.9 next week?

The exceptions in the jobmanager-stderr from the YARN tests is the
following (from #347.5 and #344.5):

07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: Mar 12, 2015 7:45:57 AM
org.jboss.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: WARNING: An exception was thrown by an exception handler.
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: java.util.concurrent.RejectedExecutionException: Worker has
already been shutdown
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.registerTask(AbstractNioSelector.java:120)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.executeInIoThread(AbstractNioWorker.java:72)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.executeInIoThread(NioWorker.java:36)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioWorker.executeInIoThread(AbstractNioWorker.java:56)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.executeInIoThread(NioWorker.java:36)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioChannelSink.execute(AbstractNioChannelSink.java:34)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireExceptionCaughtLater(Channels.java:496)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.AbstractChannelSink.exceptionCaught(AbstractChannelSink.java:46)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.oneone.OneToOneEncoder.handleDownstream(OneToOneEncoder.java:54)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.disconnect(Channels.java:781)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
org.jboss.netty.channel.AbstractChannel.disconnect(AbstractChannel.java:211)
07:46:00,598 WARN  org.apache.flink.yarn.YarnTestBase
     - LINE: at
akka.remote.transport.netty.NettyTransport$$anonfun$gracefulClose$1.apply(NettyTransport.scala:223)

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.

#338: https://travis-ci.org/uce/incubator-flink/builds/53985981
  - 338.5 (

#344. https://travis-ci.org/uce/incubator-flink/builds/53986054
  - 344.5 (

#347. https://travis-ci.org/uce/incubator-flink/builds/53986111
  - 347.5 (

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Ah, thanks Márton.

Posted by Márton Balassi <ba...@gmail.com>.
Hi Henry,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
HI Stephan,

Posted by Márton Balassi <mb...@apache.org>.
Hey,

We have a nice list of new features - it definitely makes sense to have
that as a release. On my side I really want to have a first limited version
of streaming fault tolerance in it.

+1 for Robert's proposal for the deadlines.

I'm also volunteering for release manager.

Best,
Marton