Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by daveg0 <ba...@googlemail.com> on 2009/04/23 00:36:38 UTC

Problem streaming large blobs from Jackrabbit

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is a Jackrabbit/MySQL/tomcat problem, but I am
having problems downloading a "large" video (40MB) via the following stack:

browser <-- tomcat <--Restlet <-- Jackrabbit <-- MYSQL (where the
content-node is a binary property)

I can download smaller clips eg 3MB but on the larger clip, the browser
seems to appear to be downloading and even reports the size of the download,
but does not have any content in it when completed, it's as if the stream
just decided to go the motions of downloading without actually downloading.
I can't see any error messages (memory problems etc).

Is anyone aware of problems with binary sizes in Jackrabbit/MySQL. . If not,
I can at least eliminate them from the potential failure points and I will
have to look at Tomcat/Restlet,

I am using Jackrabbit 1.5.3 and MYSQL 5.0 and have a large server - 64bit OS
(Linux), JDK 1.6, 16GB memory, 4 CPUs

regards

Dave

Re: Problem streaming large blobs from Jackrabbit

Posted by daveg0 <ba...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response:

We are storing the blobs in MySQL and we have not set the max packet size,
but as you you suggest, it seems to be aware of the blob size when it tries
to read back the data,

regards

Dave

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.
Hi,

> We are using the DataStore,
>    <DataStore class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.db.DbDataStore">

So you use MySQL to store blobs. As far as I know (I'm not sure) MySQL
or the MySQL JDBC driver tries to load the whole BLOB in memory.

Did you consider using the FileDataStore?

> but will we see much benefit as the clips wea
> restoring are all unique

The file data store will not save space, but it will solve the problem
with large binaries.

Regards,
Thoams

Re: Problem streaming large blobs from Jackrabbit

Posted by daveg0 <ba...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Thomas,

We are using the DataStore, but will we see much benefit as the clips wea
restoring are all unique

    <DataStore class="org.apache.jackrabbit.core.data.db.DbDataStore">

    </DataStore>

regards

Dave

Posted by Thomas Müller <th...@day.com>.