Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> on 2003/04/26 22:04:14 UTC

Craig's back, so I'm asking again...

Craig, we had a vote in your absence to do an RC2 release with the idea
that we could slipstream DBCP and Pool into the final release, since
that's all we're waiting for.  It had general consensus agreement but
failed because Aaron -1'd it since you weren't here.  Now that you're
back, I'm re-raising the question.

James Turner
Directory of Software Development, Benefit Systems, Inc.
Chair, COMDEX 2003 Strategic Open Source Track
turner@blackbear.com

Author:
    MySQL & JSP Web Applications: Data Driven Programming Using Tomcat
and MySQL
    Struts Kick Start
Forthcoming:
    JavaServer Faces Kick Start

Re: Craig's back, so I'm asking again...

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, James Turner wrote:
>

> > Craig, we had a vote in your absence to do an RC2 release with the idea
> > that we could slipstream DBCP and Pool into the final release, since
> > that's all we're waiting for.  It had general consensus agreement but
> > failed because Aaron -1'd it since you weren't here.  Now that you're
> > back, I'm re-raising the question.
> >

> In general, this sounds like a reasonable approach.  However ...
>
> It looks to me like we've got solid release versions for:
> + commons-beanutils       1.6.1
> + commons-collections     2.1
> + commons-digester        1.5   (fixes a backwards incompatibility
>                                  in 1.4.1, release underway now)
> + commons-lang            1.0.1
> + commons-logging         1.0.3
> + commmons-validator      1.0.2
> + jakarta-oro             2.0.7
>
> But don't we still have issues with *all* of the following?
> - commons-dbcp
> - commons-fileupload
> - commons-pool
>
> Martin, where are we on a final FileUpload release?

I expect to commit the bulk of the changes very soon (hopefully tonight).
A little more cleanup, and it will be ready for a Beta 2 that includes
deprecations. I'll update Struts, of course, and I plan to submit patches
for Tomcat and Turbine that avoid the deprecated methods.

I'm not sure how quickly I can reasonably make the transition from Beta to
an RC that removes the deprecated methods, but that's the next step, and
then a Final release.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
Oh, and before anyone asks, no, I'm not trying to hold back Struts 1.1
until JSF is ready. ;-)

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
James Turner wrote:
> One of the biggest digs made against open source is that the developers
> have no commitment to release schedules, so you never know when things
> will be available.

Here's a story that describes the true nature of open source:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/contributing.html

My perspective is this: if anyone wants 1.1 out sooner, then they can
dig in and make it happen. (And I'm not talking to James here, who's
kept the validator working for us, but to the list.)

If Struts 1.1 isn't happening fast enough for the corporate users, then
there aren't enough corporate users helping with the development of
Struts and its dependent packages.

Since I'm not an evangelist, I don't really care if other people use
Struts or not. It works for me, and I just try to share the wealth, best
I can.

-Ted.

RE: Craig's back, so I'm asking again...

Posted by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com>.

*disheartened sigh*

Martin, I agree with you in principal, but I'm beginning to lose hope...

One of the biggest digs made against open source is that the developers
have no commitment to release schedules, so you never know when things
will be available.  From my anecdotal experience, most of the
commercial/business Struts user community refuses to go to 1.1 until
there is a final release.  This means that they are continuing to use
1.0, which has a LOT more warts on it than even a buggy 1.1 release
would, and 1.1 is in no way a buggy release.

As a Struts evangelist (one of a set, collect them all...), it's very
hard to recommend a framework with a "some day..." release date.  And
with 1.1 basically frozen for more than a month now, there's a lot of
new work that's hanging fire.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have stick my stake in the sand at this point, and
say that if we don't get concrete-to-within-a-few-days estimates on when
the outstanding Commons packages are going to release, and if those days
aren't within a couple of weeks, we need to take a stand, release 1.1
with nightlies of those packages, and catch them up in a 1.11 or 1.2
release.  Otherwise, the aforementioned scenario of JSF RI 1 shipping
before Struts 1.1 does will be a reality rather than a conspiracy
theory.

James

Re: Craig's back, so I'm asking again...

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.