Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Spico Florin <sp...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/07 09:55:00 UTC

Storm Error while submitting topology Failed to get local hostname java.net.UnknownHostException: xx-xxx-xxx-xxx: xxx-xxx-xx-xx

Hello!
   I'm encountering the following strange cases: While submitting the
topology on the storm cluster I'm getting the error
*Failed to get local hostname java.net.UnknownHostException:
xx-xxx-xxx-xxx: xxx-xxx-xx-xx*
*where the ** xxx-xxx-xx-xx is the IP of the nimbus (encoded here for
security reasons. The IP is a valid one and is properly configured with "."
as separator in the storm.yaml file )*
The error is omehow overpass on the client submitter and the topology is
submitted to the storm cluster and deployed. But I'm getting the same error
on the worker machines where the spout and bolts are running. The topology
runs for a while and then is restarted after is encountering the same error
with the corresponding IP of the workers.

Can  please help me to understand what triggers this peculiar behavior and
how to proprely solve it?
I look forward for your answers.
Thanks.
  Regards,
 Florin

Re: Storm Error while submitting topology Failed to get local hostname java.net.UnknownHostException: xx-xxx-xxx-xxx: xxx-xxx-xx-xx

Posted by Spico Florin <sp...@gmail.com>.
Hello!
  I have found the issue. The wrong IP was set up in the /etc/hostname. On
the ubuntu OS, after changing it with command hostnamectl, the problem has
gone. Hope that this help others that will face the same issue.
Regards,
  Florin

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@yahoo-inc.com>.
I have seen this happen with an improperly configured /etc/hosts file.

If nsswitch is configured to use 'files' for the 'hosts:' key, the
native code Java calls will query the /etc/hosts file.

I think it was due to some bug with a configuration system for OpenStack
instances.  It was populating /etc/hosts such that localhost was mapped
to a public IP address instead of something like 127.0.0.1.

--
Derek

Posted by Spico Florin <sp...@gmail.com>.
Hello!