Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Radu Filip <ra...@tuiasi.ro> on 2004/03/24 23:06:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Counting HTTP headers in Apache 1.3 logs

Hi,

according with
  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_config.html.en#formats Apache
1.3 does not know to log traffic _including_ the size of the HTTP headers.

Searching on the web I found a module called mod_logio which can do that,
but is only available for Apache 2.0.

I am interested to find a way to have in Apache's TransferLogs the size of
the resource requested AND size of the both HTTP headers (request and
replay). I am interested to log only the total: HTTP request + HTTP header
replay + size of resource

Do you know any way I could do that, please? (My Apache 1.3 is running
under RH Linux 7.3)

Note: updating to Apache 2.0 or using a different web server is not an
option.

Thank you!

Re: [users@httpd] Counting HTTP headers in Apache 1.3 logs

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.
Radu Filip wrote:

> according with
>   http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_log_config.html.en#formats Apache
> 1.3 does not know to log traffic _including_ the size of the HTTP headers.
>
> Searching on the web I found a module called mod_logio which can do that,
> but is only available for Apache 2.0.
>
> I am interested to find a way to have in Apache's TransferLogs the size of
> the resource requested AND size of the both HTTP headers (request and
> replay). I am interested to log only the total: HTTP request + HTTP header
> replay + size of resource
>
> Do you know any way I could do that, please? (My Apache 1.3 is running
> under RH Linux 7.3)
>
> Note: updating to Apache 2.0 or using a different web server is not an
> option.

mod_gzip has this ability I believe.  I don't know whether it applies to
requests that have been sent compressed, or every request.  But I have a
feeling you could install it (even if you don't want to enable
compression) for its ability to include header size in the log format.

Brian