Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Julian Ray <ju...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/12 18:08:35 UTC

UI Design with PanelStack

This is a general UI design question. We are implementing a event scheduler
for recurring events (like the one in Outlook) where events can recurr on
weekly, monthly or yearly schedules.

The PanelStack seems like a good way to go to provide three panels, only one
of which is visible based on choices made by the user.  The UI is backed up
by a model bean which I was hoping to use saveState to manage however....

the PanelStack component only renders the currently visible panel which
means that if the user switches panels, the model managed by saveState gets
duly updated with null values for the non-rendered components and therefore
looses state -- if the users switches back to a previous panel the state has
gone.

So.. what options are available? Any disabled component does not get updated
when the form is submitted so is there another way? It would be nice to use
existing components rather than hiding divs (which actually works with
saveState!).  Perhaps an extended PanelStack component which uses JS to hide
rather than not render the panels.

Thoughts?

Sent from the MyFaces - Users forum at Nabble.com.