Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2018/08/13 04:19:33 UTC

[ANN] Apache Karaf 4.1.6 released !

The Apache Karaf team is pleased to announce Apache Karaf 4.1.6 release!

This is a maintenance release on the 4.1.x series, bringing fixes and
dependency updates.

You take a look on the Release Notes for details:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311140&version=12342748

You can download the release from the Karaf website:

http://karaf.apache.org/download.html

Enjoy !

The Karaf Team

Re: Karaf 4.1.6 debian packaging problems

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

>> The difference between the binary tarball and the deb package is built
>> from the source tarball and uses some startup jars from debian
>> dependencies, rather than maven dependencies:
>> - OSGi 6
>> - jna and jna-platform
>> - jansi

The reason for the strange formatting is probably this:
 http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/karaf-user/201809.mbox/<cda67d0e-5039-24ca-b885-a401756e78ca%40nanthrax.net>

I'll skip packaging 4.1.6 and instead package 4.1.7 when that is out.

Karaf 4.1.6 debian packaging problems (Was: [ANN] Apache Karaf 4.1.6 released !)

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

> The difference between the binary tarball and the deb package is built
> from the source tarball and uses some startup jars from debian
> dependencies, rather than maven dependencies:
>  - OSGi 6
>  - jna and jna-platform
>  - jansi

I removed all of the debian packages, ie. using only maven provided
dependencies, and the resulting deb package still has the same
formatting issues in the console.

So the problem has something to do with my build.

The problem is also caused by something that has changed from 4.1.5 to
4.1.6.  Ie. either something that has changed in the tarball or in my
build environment.

I tried building 4.1.5 now from the same server, and the 4.1.5 debian
package from that build did not have the formatting problems on the
console.

So the whatever's causing the console formatting issue seems to be
something that has happened between 4.1.5 and 4.1.6 in the karaf source.

Re: [ANN] Apache Karaf 4.1.6 released !

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.

> The Apache Karaf team is pleased to announce Apache Karaf 4.1.6 release!
> This is a maintenance release on the 4.1.x series, bringing fixes and
> dependency updates.

In case someone wonders why there isn't an unofficial deb package[1] for
4.1.5 yet, it's because there is something strange with the output of
commands like e.g. bundle:list.  It looks like the output is lf only,
not cr and lf (or whatever):
karaf@root()> bundle:list
START LEVEL 100 , List Threshold: 50
                                    ID │ State  │ Lvl │ Version │ Name
                                                                      ───┼────────┼─────┼─────────┼───────────────────────────────────────────────────
                                                                      29 │ Active │  80 │ 4.1.6   │ Apache Karaf :: OSGi Services :: Event
                                                          ~                     karaf@root()>

(Well, some line changes are just line feeds but from the above it looks
like not all: the line above "29 active" has the same alignment as the
line that follows it)

karaf 4.1.6 from the binary tarball has normal seeming output for
commands like bundle:list and feature:list on the same terminal input.

The difference between the binary tarball and the deb package is built
from the source tarball and uses some startup jars from debian
dependencies, rather than maven dependencies:
 - OSGi 6
 - jna and jna-platform
 - jansi

Any ideas?

The build platform is
 - amd64
 - debian 9.1 stable (currently "stretch")
 - openjdk-8

Reference:
 [1] <https://steinar.bang.priv.no/2018/01/23/installing-apache-karaf-on-debian/>