Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/14 17:29:07 UTC

Future hosting of wicket stuff

Things change and while we had a nice stay at sf.net, I think it is
time to move on with Wicket Stuff to newer ground. We have had this
discussion before and the discussion stalled mostly because Apache and
Google were in talks about a new service called Apache Extras [1].
Fortunately those talks are now over and we can continue our future of
Wicket Stuff hosting discussion.

In my opinion there are two possible hosting solutions for Wicket Stuff:

 - the newly announced Apache Extras
 - github's organization feature

For Wicket Stuff we have a couple of things that worked fairly badly
in the past. SVN connectivity from our build system connecting to
SF.net was spotty at best, and didn't work most of the time. This has
improved considerably by using Hudson instead of Teamcity (though not
all builds that were done on teamcity have been migrated to hudson)

I declare the JIRA instance of wicket stuff officially dead and gone
to meet its maker. While we could opt for another JIRA enterprise
license, I find maintaining the service a chore, and having to upgrade
every now and then a waste of time better used to build cool stuff.
While the issue trackers of Apache Extras (i.e. google code) and
github are barebones, they have enough features to work with—we're not
building missile guidance software requiring CMM level 5, SAS-71 etc
certification.

A similar issue arises with confluence. While I appreciate confluence
being the best wiki available, again maintaining and upgrading it is
no picnic, and both Apache Extras and github provide fine
implementations of wikis.

So I'd like to propose the following options:

 - stay at sf.net but use the sf.net hosted issue tracker and wikis
 - move everything over to an Apache Extras Wicket Stuff project
 - move everything over to a Github Wicket Stuff organization

Staying at sf.net

 - scm options: SVN, Git, Mercurial, Bazaar, or CVS
 - no social options
 - No Apache Extras brand name
 - account management a drag
 - no limitation on allowed open source licenses
 - web UI a complete travesty

Moving to Apache Extras

 - scm options: HG and SVN
 - no social options
 - Apache Extras brand name
 - account management a drag
 - limitation on allowed open source licenses

Moving to Github

 - scm options: git
 - many social options (easy forking/merging/pull requests, etc)
 - No Apache Extras exposure
 - account management possibly easier (less need to actually add
accounts to projects for sure)
 - no limitation on allowed open source licenses

For this exercise I assumed the wiki and issue trackers of both github
and Apache Extras are equally barebones.

What do you think? If I've missed something add to this thread. If you
prefer one solution over the other speak up!

Martijn

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches

Re: Future hosting of wicket stuff

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
+1 for Apache Extras.

Posted by Renaud Bruyeron <br...@fullsix.com>.
+1 for github

I don't really know what "proximity to apache" brings to wicketstuff
given the nature of wicketstuff (wicket core is another story). To me
this is irrelevant to the discussion.
What I know is: the social coding features of github is a must for
wicketstuff (unlike wicketcore where a more centralized governance might
make sense). In my opinion, this criteria alone trumps all the others.

Renaud

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
i think keeping it simple would be best

we host the main wicketstuff repo on github. people who want to
contribute then have two ways of doing this:

if they are going to work on a project on a continuous basis they can
request push rights and we can grant them
if they just want to fix a bug or give a one-off commit they can open
a pull request which one of the maintainers can apply

-igor

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
I'm also +1 for github.

Posted by Clint Checketts <ch...@gmail.com>.
I don't know if I've any pull in voting, but +1 for github from me. It also
would help in cases when a Wicket-Stuff idea may want to fork Wicket core to
try new stuff.

-Clint

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
+1 for github

Posted by Andrew Lombardi <an...@mysticcoders.com>.
+1 for Github.

On Dec 14, 2010, at 8:29 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> [...]
> - no limitation on allowed open source licenses
> - web UI a complete travesty
>
> Moving to Apache Extras
>
> - scm options: HG and SVN
> - no social options
> - Apache Extras brand name
> - account management a drag
> - limitation on allowed open source licenses
>
> Moving to Github
>
> - scm options: git
> - many social options (easy forking/merging/pull requests, etc)
> - No Apache Extras exposure
> - account management possibly easier (less need to actually add
> accounts to projects for sure)
> - no limitation on allowed open source licenses
>
> For this exercise I assumed the wiki and issue trackers of both github
> and Apache Extras are equally barebones.
>
> What do you think? If I've missed something add to this thread. If you
> prefer one solution over the other speak up!

To our success!

Mystic Coders, LLC | Code Magic | www.mysticcoders.com

ANDREW LOMBARDI | andrew@mysticcoders.com
2321 E 4th St. Ste C-128, Santa Ana CA 92705
ofc: 714-352-0298
fax: 714-782-6024
cell: 714-697-8046
linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewlombardi
twitter: @kinabalu
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lombardi
fan mystic: http://www.facebook.com/mysticcoders
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kinabalu

Eco-Tip: Printing e-mails is usually a waste.

This message is for the named person's use only. You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
 disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

Re: Future hosting of wicket stuff

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Looking at the votes I think moving to github has the major support.

Let's discuss how to proceed from here (but in another thread).

Martijn

Re: Future hosting of wicket stuff

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1 Apache Extras (but only based on that I already know svn)

Posted by Brian Topping <to...@codehaus.org>.
Also, if things move to Github and issues need to be moved, I spent some time getting too familiar with how that process works.  There are no easy to use tools to move issues, it is inexact at best, but I do have the code that was used to move the Brix issues and am happy to post to Github if anyone wants it, contact me off list.

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

If the wicket related code that you are going to release is a clean,
polished project on its own, and you plan to keep supporting it,
then I think the project deserves its own hosting, instead of being added to
wicket-stuff.

There is a lot of cool stuff and useful ideas in wicket-stuff, And I am
certainly in favour of keeping wicket-stuff and the 'everyone can commit'
concept.
But the downside is that the level of maturity and support varies greatly
within the subprojects.

regards
Maarten

I have no opinion, but I am interested in seeing how the process

Posted by richard emberson <ri...@gmail.com>.
What is the criteria being used for making this decision?

What is easiest for the developer:
     Checkout/checkin/branching/merging/etc
What is easiest for the user:
     Getting releases or snapshots/logging bugs/bug status/getting help/etc

If only developers are voting (those who commit code),
you will get what developers want.

Are users also voting? Is their vote equal to or more important
than a developer's vote?

I would assume there are two sets of needs; some might overlap while some
might be in conflict. How are such conflicting needs between what
a developer might find as easy to use and what a user finds as
easy being addressed?

Has a list of user needs been enumerated and evaluated against
the different options?

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
imho.

most people download through maven, so the downloading interface is
irrelevant. and even looking at it: googlecode has a downloads tab,
github has a big button on the front page - little difference.

the only other relevant part is the wiki - imho they are pretty much
the same on github and googlecode. nice thing about gc is that it has
the sidebar feature in the wiki, but its not a gamechanger.

the big win in github is the administration. currently this is a huge
timesink for the maintainers because every committer has to be
explicitly added to the project. with gc this remains the same, with
github there are pull requests and merge queue interface which are a
cheap alternative for those who only want to commit once.

-igor

Posted by tetsuo <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by tetsuo <ro...@gmail.com>.