Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Smith, Brandon (BN)" <BN...@dow.com> on 2020/06/01 20:47:26 UTC

Using Variables and/or Properties with Simple Data Writer

I have also posted this question on Stack Overflow if you prefer to have the discussion there.  Here's the link:  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62137920/using-variables-and-or-properties-with-simple-data-writer-in-jmeter

Using JMeter v5.1.1, I am setting a dynamic file path and name to be used with Simple Data Writer. I've tried this every way I can think of to no avail. Things I've tried:

   - JSR223 PreProcessor (scoped to same thread group) which stores dynamic path/name in variables, and use variable in Simple Data Writer
   - Execute thread groups consecutively. Use StartUp Thread with JSR223 Sampler which stores dynamic path/name in properties, and use __P function in Simple Data Writer to retrieve path/name. This method will pull the property values from the previous run if I do not remove the properties at the end of the test.
   - Execute thread groups consecutively. Use StartUp Thread with JSR223 Sampler which stores dynamic path/name in properties. Run JSR223 PreProcessor which stores global properties as variables in thread group, and use variables in Simple Data Writer to retrieve path/name. I've also tried the __V function with this approach. This method will pull the property values from the previous run if I do not remove the properties at the end of the test.

I can see in the JSR223 scripts that the path/name are being set correctly using log.info. I can also see them set when using a debug sampler, but for some reason the Simple Data Writer does not seem to be picking them up. If I set the variables before running, it works fine. This seems like an order of operations problem, or asynchronous/multi-thread issue, but am not sure how to proceed. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Brandon