Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2004/01/14 00:28:33 UTC

Less talk, more action

> Tim O'Brien wrote:
> Essentially, I see conversation increasing at J-C, but
> participation lagging.

+1. We, as a community, need to watch this carefully.

J-C has grown tremendously and achieved great things, but it is possible
that we have now exceeded the threshold for success using the development
model we use here (one big mailing list, many committers, many projects)

I haven't examined the cvs commits, but my gut feeling is that committing
has dropped off over the last 6 months or so. All I can suggest is that each
of us here consider why we are in this community, what projects we want to
focus on, and what we want to achieve. I fear we will have to address some
more management issues this year, but lets try to do so without excessive
chatter.

Stephen

Re: Less talk, more action

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@olin.edu>.
On the management issues side, I would like to note that this mailing
list is extremely heavyweight for people who only want to monitor one
project. I am subscribed to keep abrest of any changes in
commons-sandbox-sql. I am currently using the recently added alter table
support and loving it. Unfortunately this means 99% of the mail on this
list is useless to me. Obviously one can't have separate lists for every
sandbox project.. but if there were at least a separate sandbox list
that would cut the load some. I have a filter on any subject that
contains sql in it, but such filters may miss things, and I get a fair
number of false positves that way too.

When I clear out this mail folder, I sometimes wind up being tempted to
respond to other mails (like this one) possibly contributing to the
action/talk dillema you mentioned.

-Gus