Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1997/07/24 08:50:14 UTC

I love solaris

sudo -s
ulimit -H -n unlimited
ulimit -n unlimited
su marcs

and the box rebooted and hung on something-or-other at boot; not in front
of it so I don't know what.  I think I'll second my own suggestion of just
dropping Solaris support.  Sigh.  Too bad it is one of the best low-cost
commercial Unixes out there for the x86 platform.

What I _did_ notice is that if I add Listen directives and do a HUP, the
server doesn't always start listening on them.  Is this a known issue?
Was with 1.3a1.  I would look further but my box doesn't like me.

Re: I love solaris

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
I'm not sure I follow.  If I am sending dozens of signals a second to
Apache, it should get one quickly.

If I am sending a couple of signals a second, it should take a touch
longer to get one.

The first case causes it to restart at a rate about 1/4 of the second
case.  Since signals don't queue, you would think that sending them more
frequently would result in Apache having to wait less time after being
restarted and installing the signal handler before it restarted again.

It may just be that sending so many signals ate all the machine and caused
everything to slow down.  I could try a usleep in the middle to make it
slow down a bit.

Re: I love solaris

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: I love solaris

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
I'll bet it's related to the signal masking problem that Nathan Kurz
reported... er wait, maybe he only sent that one to me in private email, I
can't find it in the bugdb.  Nathan?  It's not 792, that one is a race in
the children not the parent.

Anyhow the problem is that reclaim_child_processes, and some code around
it is not properly masked.  I think.

Dean

Re: I love solaris

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.