Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Kyle Flavin <ky...@citrix.com> on 2015/01/28 01:50:15 UTC

Removing a host from a cluster and adding it to another

I've removed a host from one Cloudstack cluster, and I'm attempting to add it to a new cluster.  It will be the only host in the cluster, and used for testing purposes.  I put the host into maintenance mode, removed it from its original cluster within the Cloudstack UI, then deleted it from the Xen pool using xe pool-eject.

Now when I create a new cluster, and try to add the host, I get an error message that just says "Unable to add host" from within the Cloudstack web UI.  I see messages in management-server.log that say "Trying to add a new host at http://<myhost<http://%3cmyhost>>", but no indication of an error:

2015-01-27 16:28:31,142 INFO  [c.c.r.ResourceManagerImpl] (catalina-exec-13:ctx-4ab1a388 ctx-fa2957ea) Trying to add a new host at http://<myhost> in data center 1

On the Xen host itself, I see the following in the xensource.log:

Jan 28 00:28:31 <host> t1 /opt/xensource/bin/xapi: [debug|<host>|748 INET 0.0.0.0:80|pool_patch.get_by_uuid D:5fb0d4d944bb|dispatcher] Server_helpers.exec exception_handler: Got exception UUID_INVALID: [ pool_patch; 996dd2e7-ad95-49cc-a0be-2c9adc4dfb0b ]

It references an invalid ID, but I'm not sure what that UUID belongs to; it isn't the UUID of the pool.

Is there something that needs to be done to "clear" the configuration of a Xenserver host prior to adding it to a new cluster?  Or is Cloudstack "remembering" the old host name and not allowing me to put it into the new cluster?

Thanks,
Kyle

RE: Removing a host from a cluster and adding it to another

Posted by Geoff Higginbottom <ge...@shapeblue.com>.
Kyle,

The official advice has always been to re-install a XenServer before trying to add it back into CloudStack.

When a host is added into CloudStack a number of changes are made, and whilst it is possible to manually clean up the configuration, there is always a risk you miss something which could cause you problems later on.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

Posted by Somesh Naidu <So...@citrix.com>.
Kyle, I'd expect the use case you mentioned to work.

Based on your comments so far I'd be surprised if it is something obvious. I was thinking it would be better to have a closer look at what's happening. Would you be available for a GTM?

Somesh
CloudPlatform Escalations
Citrix Systems, Inc.

[...]

..