Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2021/07/06 13:11:20 UTC

ComDev "mentoring program"

I have been looking through some PRs and came across
https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/pull/42 and I'm not sure how to
proceed here.

We do not have a mentoring program. But the text in some of the pages in
the "Mentoring" nav menu *seem* to be referring to GSOC, while others
are not, and it's a huge mess.

While it would be nice to have a mentoring program, it's not a small
undertaking, and would need actual volunteers who were willing to devote
some serious time to it. We don't appear to have that.

I'm not sure who wrote all of these pages. I'm also not sure if, at the
time, it was purely aspirational, or if there was actually some
mentoring happening. (If there is now, and I'm just not aware of it,
apologies, but that, too, is a problem, if we're doing this activity and
neither the PMC, nor the board (via our reports) is aware of it.)

And then there's the issue that we call it a Mentoring Program, but the
page URL is mentoringprogramme. :)

So ... is anyone out there actually doing any kind of formal mentoring.
Do these pages, in any way, refer to an actual reality? Does anyone
object if I simply purge this portion of our website?

--Rich

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
@rbowen

Re: ComDev "mentoring program"

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 06/07/2021 15.11, Rich Bowen wrote:
> I have been looking through some PRs and came across
> https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/pull/42 and I'm not sure how to
> proceed here.
>
> We do not have a mentoring program. But the text in some of the pages in
> the "Mentoring" nav menu *seem* to be referring to GSOC, while others
> are not, and it's a huge mess.
>
> While it would be nice to have a mentoring program, it's not a small
> undertaking, and would need actual volunteers who were willing to devote
> some serious time to it. We don't appear to have that.
>
> I'm not sure who wrote all of these pages. I'm also not sure if, at the
> time, it was purely aspirational, or if there was actually some
> mentoring happening. (If there is now, and I'm just not aware of it,
> apologies, but that, too, is a problem, if we're doing this activity and
> neither the PMC, nor the board (via our reports) is aware of it.)
>
> And then there's the issue that we call it a Mentoring Program, but the
> page URL is mentoringprogramme. :)
>
> So ... is anyone out there actually doing any kind of formal mentoring.
> Do these pages, in any way, refer to an actual reality? Does anyone
> object if I simply purge this portion of our website?

I think the mentoring program is more wishful thinking of yore than
reality. I'm in favor of scrapping the texts completely. I think we
should generally take inventory and assess what programs/projects we
have going on at ComDev and which we either never got going or to not
need/use any longer.