Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus <Sc...@lotus.com> on 2000/05/25 06:51:50 UTC

Threading bug alert

It looks like there is a problem with threading when the first result
element is <HTML>, but there is not a <xsl:output method="html"/>
declaration.

Here's what I think is happening.  In XSLTEngineImpl, when the engine
detects the first result element being <HTML>, it tries to change the
output method (which is according to the specification).  The problem is,
it goes to the StylesheetRoot object to change the method... but the
stylesheet root object should be immutable at this point... so this is a
very bad thing.  Two or more threads probably try to do this at around the
same time, and who knows what actually ends up being written.  It may be
more complicated than this, but right now that's my best guess.

We apologize for the problem.

I don't think this should effect Cocoon users, since I think they set the
Serializer outside of the xsl:output process.

-scott