Posted to dev@samza.apache.org by Zach Cox <zc...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/06 14:27:28 UTC

Problems running new jobs in hello-samza

Hi - I'm just getting started with Samza. I got the hello-samza example
working properly in the vagrant box. Then I wrote 2 new tasks, rebuilt
everything and submitted them to yarn using run-job.sh. These 2 new jobs
show up in the yarn web ui, however only one of them has State=RUNNING, the
other just sits forever at State=ACCEPTED.

The Cluster Metrics section shows some interesting things:
 - Apps Pending = 1
 - Apps Running = 4
 - Containers Running = 8
 - Memory Used = 8 GB
 - Memory Total = 8 GB
 - Memory Reserved = 0 B

Again I'm really new to samza & yarn, but does this mean that the node on
this vagrant box has 8 GB memory available but all 8 GB is being used, so
it can't run the 5th samza job?

Are there 8 containers running because each Samza job has an
ApplicationMaster and a SamzaContainer? Are each of those containers using
1 GB memory, and that's why all the available memory is used up? Do these
containers really need 1 GB memory each? Can this be adjusted somehow?

Just trying to better understand what's going on here, and see if there's a
simple way to get both of my new tasks running in hello-samza.

Thanks,
Zach

Re: Problems running new jobs in hello-samza

Posted by Zach Cox <zc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Lukas and Mark - setting yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores to 10
allowed the 5th job to run, and it's working beautifully now!

Posted by Mark Mindenhall <ma...@machineshop.io>.

Posted by Lukas Steiblys <lu...@doubledutch.me>.
Yes, you need to increase the core count in yarn
(yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores). In your case it seems like you need
at least 10 cores for 5 jobs.

Lukas

Posted by Zach Cox <zc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Mindenhall <ma...@machineshop.io>.
Hi Zach,

[...]

    <description>Maximum limit of memory to allocate to each container request at the Resource Manager.</description>

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@linkedin.com.INVALID>.
Hey Zach,

The Vagrant box is configured to have 2048MB of memory:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-samza-hello-samza/blob/master/Vagrantfi
le

The YARN NM by default is configured to have 8GB of memory allotted to it.
This is just an oversight on our part. I'll open a JIRA for that.

Now, your NM has 8GB allotted to it, and all 8GB are being used. Once this
happens, any new containers that need to be started aren't going to be
able to start because there's no space to start them. If the container
that needs to be started is a Samza AM (ApplicationMaster), then the job
will sit in the ACCEPTED state.

You'll need to do one of the following:

1. Run fewer jobs
2. Lower the yarn.container.memory.mb (and probably heap usage if you
customized task.opts).
3. Increase the NM's allotted GB space (yarn-site.xml) and bump up the
Vagrant box's memory footprint as well.

Cheers,
Chris