Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Klaus Weide <kw...@enteract.com> on 1999/12/11 01:15:51 UTC

protocol/5455: Lynx misinterprets Content-Location

>Number:         5455
>Category:       protocol
>Synopsis:       Lynx misinterprets Content-Location
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
To quote someone else:
Client Bug!  Not an apache bug!  I couldn't find the appropriate
category for client bugs.

All known Lynx versions (well, at least since 2-5, 1996) have a bug
that causes a "Content-Location:" header field to be mis-recognized
as "Location:" in redirection responses, if the "Content-Location:"
precedes the "Location:".  (This applies only to messages with
redirection status codes 301,302,etc., where the Lynx code takes some
shortcuts instead of doing full header parsing.)

This was never discovered until recently - apparently such a
combination of header fields hasn't been common.  Recently the
problem was reported to the lynx-dev list.  Please see
   http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1199/msg00370.html
and
   http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1199/msg00383.html
for the original report, including headers.  (It appears that
conneg creates redirection messages with "Content-Location:"?)

This is being corrected in the current Lynx development code.
Apache isn't doing anything wrong here.  But could Apache work around
the problem, for those Lynx copies out there?
>How-To-Repeat:
Access
<http://www.disabilitytimes.com/go/headline?url=http://www.foo.com>
with any moderately recent version of Lynx.  You'll end up at the
wrong page after the redirection(s).
>Fix:
(a) Always send any "Location:" header fields before any "Content-Location:",
    in all responses (all 30x responses would be enough, x > 0).  Or
(b) something like (a), or perhaps suppressing "Content-Location:", under
    control of BrowserMatch.
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]