Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2009/01/11 21:07:02 UTC

IP Clearance

Hi Mentors,

According to our STATUS file
(http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jsecurity/STATUS?view=markup),
we've got to clear the "Copyrights & Licensing" and "Distribution
Rights" sections.  How can we verify that these have been completed?

I mean, I can go through each file, one by one and verify that the ASF
header is in place, but I'm sure that you guys have done this a few
times before ;)  So, I'm looking for best practices to achieve this...

Thanks,

Les

Re: IP Clearance

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Les,

The more important task is for the team to verify that all of the code
in the repository has the right license considering its provenance.
That is, it's not enough that the source has the Apache license in
svn. It has to have the license that the IP owner granted.

Usually, this is done during code grant / import (and then
continuously as files are checked in).

The RAT is good to verify the actual repository contents, as Emmanuel
points out.

Craig

On Jan 11, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

> Awesome!  Thanks for the pointer!
>
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> Les Hazlewood wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Mentors,
>>>
>>> According to our STATUS file
>>> (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/jsecurity/STATUS?
>>> view=markup),
>>> we've got to clear the "Copyrights & Licensing" and "Distribution
>>> Rights" sections.  How can we verify that these have been completed?
>>>
>>> I mean, I can go through each file, one by one and verify that the
>>> ASF
>>> header is in place, but I'm sure that you guys have done this a few
>>> times before ;)  So, I'm looking for best practices to achieve
>>> this...
>>>

>> There is an ASF project called 'rat' which can be used in your build.
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/rat/
>>
>> It's not perfect, but for a first pass...
>>
>> --
>> --
>> cordialement, regards,
>> Emmanuel Lécharny