Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Daniel Andersson <da...@polkabrothers.com> on 2008/01/21 16:48:28 UTC

Newbie with Java + typo

Hi people

First the typo on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/mySolr:
"Production
Typically it's not recommended do have your front end"

it should probably be "..recommended To have.."

Second, I don't know much about Java, nor about Jetty/Resin/JBoss/
Tomcat. I went through the tutorial and was impressed with how easy
it all seemed. Until the tutorial ended..

As a newbie, should I use Tomcat, JBoss, Resin, Jetty or the thing
that comes with the example (Jetty, or?)?

All the installation pages talk about this and that that doesn't make
much sense to non-Java people like myself :-/

Would be MUCH appreciated with some after-tutorial page for us
newbies. Right now I'm "just" looking for something that can be used
on a production level machine. It doesn't have to be the fastest, as
long as it's fairly easy to install.

Recommendations and pointers are very welcome :)

Thanks in advance!

/ d

Re: Newbie with Java + typo

Posted by Daniel Andersson <da...@polkabrothers.com>.
On Jan 21, 2008, at 4:53 PM, Michael Kimsal wrote:

> As a fellow 'non-java' person I feel your pain (well, felt it
> anyway).  A
> lot depends on your load and the machine, but I successfully ran
> the stock
> jetty system on a box last summer for work and didn't have performance
> problems.  ....  Performance-wise, the stock jetty will probably
> do just fine for you.  Longer term, you may want to learn more
> about jboss
> or tomcat or something else which can give you more application
> management
> options and such.
>
> But don't let those things stop you from running jetty/solr in
> production -
> it's worked fine for me.

Sounds good to me, thanks!

/ d

Re: Newbie with Java + typo

Posted by Michael Kimsal <mg...@gmail.com>.
Daniel:

As a fellow 'non-java' person I feel your pain (well, felt it anyway).  A
lot depends on your load and the machine, but I successfully ran the stock
jetty system on a box last summer for work and didn't have performance
problems.  The bigger issue was from the other java people complaining that
I hadn't used the standard jboss setup they had already working.  However, I
didnt' have access to that machine, nor would anyone give it to me at the
time, so it was a catch 22.  Performance-wise, the stock jetty will probably

--
Michael Kimsal
http://webdevradio.com

Re: Newbie with Java + typo

Posted by Brian Whitman <br...@variogr.am>.
On Jan 21, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Daniel Andersson wrote:
> Well, no. "Immutable Page", and as far as I know (english not being
> my mother tongue), that means I can't edit the page

You need to create an account first.

Re: Newbie with Java + typo

Posted by Daniel Andersson <da...@polkabrothers.com>.
On Jan 21, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> Daniel Andersson wrote:
>> Hi people
>> First the typo on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/mySolr:
>> "Production
>> Typically it's not recommended do have your front end"
>> it should probably be "..recommended To have.."
>
> you can edit any of the wiki pages...  fixing typos is a great
> contribution!

Well, no. "Immutable Page", and as far as I know (english not being
my mother tongue), that means I can't edit the page

>> Would be MUCH appreciated with some after-tutorial page for us
>> newbies. Right now I'm "just" looking for something that can be
>> used on a production level machine. It doesn't have to be the
>> fastest, as long as it's fairly easy to install.
>
> jetty is fine.  I think otis is using that in http://www.simpy.com/
> -- I use resin.  Everyone you ask will give you a different
> answer ;) but the three containers that are most used by solr
> developers are jetty, resin an tomcat.

Yeah, that's what I kind of expected ;) Hence the question "for a
total newbie who don't know.."

Will stick with the example jetty

/ d

Re: Newbie with Java + typo

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
Daniel Andersson wrote:
> Hi people
>
> First the typo on http://wiki.apache.org/solr/mySolr:
> "Production
> Typically it's not recommended do have your front end"
>
> it should probably be "..recommended To have.."

you can edit any of the wiki pages...  fixing typos is a great contribution!

> As a newbie, should I use Tomcat, JBoss, Resin, Jetty or the thing that
> comes with the example (Jetty, or?)?

Solr is servlet container agnostic -- it should run equally well on any
of them.  Most people are constrained to use what they are already
using.  If you really have no preference, perhaps stick with the jetty
one included in the example.

> Would be MUCH appreciated with some after-tutorial page for us newbies.
> Right now I'm "just" looking for something that can be used on a
> production level machine. It doesn't have to be the fastest, as long as
> it's fairly easy to install.

jetty is fine.  I think otis is using that in http://www.simpy.com/ -- I
use resin.  Everyone you ask will give you a different answer ;) but the
three containers that are most used by solr developers are jetty, resin
an tomcat.

ryan