Posted to user@hive.apache.org by chen keven <ck...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/17 19:48:57 UTC

Fwd: create tables question

I'm trying to create tables pragmatically using JDBC. However, I can't
really see the table I created from the hive shell. What's worse, when i
access hive shell from different directories, i see different tables in the
database. Is any setting i need to configure?

Thanks in advance.

--
Thank you,
Keven Chen

Re: create tables question

Posted by chen keven <ck...@gmail.com>.
It is it by default. I dont think i have changed anything yet.

Is "/user/hive/warehouse" local directory or hadoop directory?
<property>
  <name>hive.metastore.warehouse.dir</name>
  <value>/user/hive/warehouse</value>
  <description>location of default database for the warehouse</description>
</property>

--
Thank you,
Keven Chen

RE: create tables question

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.

Re: create tables question

Posted by Prasad Chakka <pc...@facebook.com>.
It may be because you may be using the default config which creates metadata in a directory relative to current directory. Check whether you have multiple 'metastore_db' directories. If so then try to set up a common metastore by changing config (conf/hive-default.xml --> conf/hive-site.xml) or follow the instructions at http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/AdminManual/MetastoreAdmin