Posted to general@commons.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/11/11 01:21:26 UTC

Jakarta PMC comments (was: Benefits of Apache Commons)

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 11:18:16PM +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> though i do strongly feel that the criticism of jakarta from the board
> has been unfair,

Woah woah woah. The Board has not made any such criticism. The topic has
never been discussed at a Board meeting. "Greg Stein, ASF Member, and
Directory" has particular issues with how the Jakarta PMC is staffed and
operated. I also have a viewpoint that I don't think proper oversight and
responsibility is being established. I think things occur outside of the
bounds of any Jakarta or J-C charter, and the PMC doesn't really notice or
take corrective actions.

As somebody said, the PMC is responsible for everything, not "some PMC
members are responsible for some parts." Jakarta is too big to make that
possible.

In any case... that is my personal point of view. I wanted to make it
clear that it is *NOT* the position of the Board. At the moment, the Board
has no position -- it is a problem for the PMC to handle. Only if somebody
raises an issue to the Board saying "but the PMC *isn't* handling it",
will the Board care.

Cheers,
-g

--