Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com> on 2014/01/21 16:27:50 UTC

[Autoscaler] Scaling functionality to LB cartridge

Hi all,

I have been thinking on implementing $subject.

Currently Autoscaler receives requests in-flight stats grouped by cluster
and network partition from CEP.

I think we need  requests in-flight stats grouped by network partition only
as well for $subject.
Because we have only one LB cluster per network partition.

Thanks.

Lahiru Sandaruwan
Software Engineer,
Platform Technologies,
WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

email: lahirus@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954
blog: http://lahiruwrites.blogspot.com/
twitter: http://twitter.com/lahirus

Re: [Autoscaler] Scaling functionality to LB cartridge

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
I do agree on your point, may be a load balancer cartridge might not need
to be scaled similar to a application/framework cartridge.
However a load balancer might need to support high availability with
minimum of two instances in active-passive/active-active mode(s) and there
might be scenarios with extremely high incoming request loads which require
handful of instances.

Therefore I think the load balancer might need to have support to run in a
clustered environment. WDYT?

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

* cell: +94 77 3320919 blog: **http://blog.afkham.org*<http://blog.afkham.org>

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
I am still not convinced that autoscaling LB cartridges just like any other
app cartridges is the right thing to do. In fact, autoscaling data
cartridges the same was as app cartridges may not be the correct thing to
do. Registering/unregistering LB instances with DNS frequently when
autoscaling happens may not be the proper thing to do. The LB will never be
equivalent to a service like AWS ELB or Route 53, since Stratos LB
configuration & routing is an the application layer. Treating the LB like

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Yes Imash. Great. We need that part first.

Thanks.

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Lahiru,