Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roy Feldman <ro...@truehorizon.com> on 2004/05/17 11:03:33 UTC

Newbie Using Subversion and WebSVN - Frequent DB corruption

I have testing out subversion 1.0.2 on a Fedora Red Hat distribution.
I am the only user of the subversion repository and my usage is
definitely light.

Nevertheless, I am getting frequent DB corruption, approximately once a
day for the last week.  Sometimes it happens when I try to commit,
sometimes it happens when I invoke WebSVN and it invokes a svnlook
command.

The ominous error message is always the same:

svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
/usr/local/svn-repos/db:
DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

I would like to use subversion for an upcoming project, but if I keep
getting these errors I will have to fall back on CVS.

Here are the packages I have installed and their versions
- subversion		1.0.2
- subversion-devel
- subversion-python
- subversion-tools
- db42			4.2.52
- db42-devel
- db42-utils
- apr			0.9.5
- apr-util
- apr-devel
- apr-util-devel

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

roy

Re: Newbie Using Subversion and WebSVN - Frequent DB corruption

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:34:26 +0700, Stepan Kalichkin <st...@tdisie.nsc.ru> wrote:

> > I have testing out subversion 1.0.2 on a Fedora Red Hat distribution.
> > I am the only user of the subversion repository and my usage is
> > definitely light.
> >
> > Nevertheless, I am getting frequent DB corruption, approximately once a
> > day for the last week.  Sometimes it happens when I try to commit,
> > sometimes it happens when I invoke WebSVN and it invokes a svnlook
> > command.
> >
> I'am geting some problems on my SuSE 8.2 - corrupt every day.
> Is anybody can help?
>
> subversion-1.0.2-4
> subversion-doc-1.0.2-4
> db-4.0.14-249

You need to define 'corrupt'.  It's very likely that you're just
messing up the permissions on the repository's berkeley db log files,
which is not really a 'corrupt' repository, and is quite easy to
correct.

-garrett

Re: Newbie Using Subversion and WebSVN - Frequent DB corruption

Posted by Steve Wray <st...@catalyst.net.nz>.
Heres a note I found;

"Berkeley DB 4.1 happens to include a popular feature whereby frequent
updates -- even if serialized -- corrupt the database and lockup any
process reading or writing.

This feature has been dropped in 4.2. Alas, most current software (Sarge
and other distros like SuSE and RH) use 4.0 or 4.1."

I'd suggest a db upgrade.

Posted by Stepan Kalichkin <st...@tdisie.nsc.ru>.

Re: Newbie Using Subversion and WebSVN - Frequent DB corruption

Posted by Stepan Kalichkin <st...@tdisie.nsc.ru>.

Re: Newbie Using Subversion and WebSVN - Frequent DB corruption

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Roy Feldman wrote:

> Nevertheless, I am getting frequent DB corruption, approximately once a
> day for the last week.  Sometimes it happens when I try to commit,
> sometimes it happens when I invoke WebSVN and it invokes a svnlook
> command.

Some "corruption" is not really that, but rather an issue with incorrectly set
ownership/rights on the database files.

Make sure that you examine closely the following section of the book:

	http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch06s05.html

specifically because you mention WebSVN.  The ownership and rights on the files
in the db folder must be maintained in a consistent fashion.  If you only use
file:// to access the repository, you can own the files with your ordinary user
ID; if you intend to access the repository by more than one method, you have to
be very careful.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Newbie Using Subversion and WebSVN - Frequent DB corruption

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 06:03, Roy Feldman wrote:

> DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

As a final response, here's the FAQ that exactly discusses your problem:

http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#permissions

Re: Newbie Using Subversion and WebSVN - Frequent DB corruption

Posted by Hugo Heden <he...@foi.se>.

On Mon, 17 May 2004, Roy Feldman wrote:

> I have testing out subversion 1.0.2 on a Fedora Red Hat distribution.
> I am the only user of the subversion repository and my usage is
> definitely light.
>
> Nevertheless, I am getting frequent DB corruption, approximately once a
> day for the last week.  Sometimes it happens when I try to commit,
> sometimes it happens when I invoke WebSVN and it invokes a svnlook
> command.

Just checking, you're not storing the repository on an NFS-server, are
you? Use the local file system.