Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2010/09/24 22:06:19 UTC

Too much Ajax in OFBIz an issue?

By chance I read http://seamframework.org/Home/WhySeam#H-ItsTheQuickestWayToGetQrichq (1st section only)
I then wondered if introducing too much Ajax in OFBiz could be an issue.

What do you think?

Jacques
PS : I discovered Seam while reading http://www.cs.ait.ac.th/~mdailey/papers/Nattanicha-ERPCompare.pdf

Re: Too much Ajax in OFBIz an issue?

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
when the ui depends on not home grown libraries you are always
susceptible to glitches you can not control.
then since this application also attempts to have security, you don't
know when the security to the data may be breached because of glitch
from the libraries.
this is more a general statement about libraries in general.

Personally I really don't like what ever happened that causes a black
semi-tranparent screen to come to ask for info and have not access to
the main screen. I freaked the first time it happened. :D

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 9/24/2010 1:06 PM:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Sam Hamilton" <sa...@sh81.com>

We work on it https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-3814

>I get the feeling though really you are talking about the whole
> lot right from the bottom of the system up to the top - something more
> like a theme framework (probably the wrong word for it?).

I guess Scott was speaking about the difficulty to handle cleanly Ajax right from widgets or templates.
For instance I have recently added a Dependent Dropdowns feature in widgets (trunk and jQuery branch). It's done in a way that needs
to set variables in screen and uses a script in a template called just before the form. It's easy to use following the existing
example but not really clean (more a hack I'd say). There are other cases in templates. It's from there that I built the widget part
which is more integrated but still not completly satisfying.
I have also used the asmselect jQuery plugin in the jQuery branch in the same way. There are 2 parts with it. The 1st one is to
better handle multiple http://www.ryancramer.com/journal/entries/select_multiple/ and I plan to better integrate it in dropdown
widgets and template macros. But the for the second, where 2 related fields are implied, I have to think more about how to handle
that...

> If you guys are talking "theme frameworks" was there a reason why OFBiz
> at that time built it rather than borrowed it? Does such a project now
> exist that we could borrow from to improve our themes?

I guess it was easier to create in than to integrate? jQuery has themes http://jqueryui.com/themeroller/ but that all what I know
about it yet. Bruno could maybe better answer on that... Note that it's not only a matter of font/size/colors in OFBiz where more is
involved (positions, menus styles, etc.). In OFBiz themes are a mix of css+js, I guess it's the same in jQuery, but I don't know if
we can extend their mechanism. And even in OFbiz, I'm not quite sure that all themes are able to handle the RTL way (Hebrew, Arab,
etc.) which is native in Flat Grey theme... This is an exmaple of why, I guess, some are seeing UI progress as sometimes
regressive....

Jacques

Posted by Sam Hamilton <sa...@sh81.com>.
On 25/09/2010 05:37, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Scott Gray wrote:
>> My concern more than anything is too much "unclean" code/hacked ajax.
>> Because we're not natively supporting these UI behaviors
>> from within the framework, the code for using them in the applications
>> has a real danger of becoming unmanageably messy.
>
> Yes, I know what you are talking about!

When you guys talk about UI have you heard of http://jqueryui.com/
before? I get the feeling though really you are talking about the whole

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott, what do you think are the alternative options to ofbiz' home
grown UI framework?

Re: Too much Ajax in OFBIz an issue?

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.